1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI in HDTV

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Sreeram, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Sreeram

Sreeram Guest

Iam a beginner trying to learn about HDMI specification, CEC Protocol and HDMI-CEC compliant switches. I have a few doubts on these topics. Basically, iam trying to understand the HDMI Specification version 1.3 also. I shall be greatly happy if any one can answer my queries.

1. Will the CEC (consumer electronics control) protocol inside a HDMI Source and HDMI Sink be the same?

2. Are HDMI switches which support CEC protocol available commercially? I have seen some HDMI switch products which come with a separate remote. In cases where 2 HDMI sources are routed via a 2x1 HDMI switch (with CEC and a remote) to a HDTV, do I need a separate remote to operate my TV and a separate one to operate my HDMI switch? If yes, then is it not that the advantage of HDMI is being lost?

3. Do we have cases like a HDMI switch and A/V receiver both supporting CEC protocol and both being mounted inside a HDTV? If yes, then will a single remote be used to control the basic operations of a TV as well as the basic switch functionalities (of selecting either one of the 2 sources being connected to the HDMI switch)?

4. Will the HDMI switch do any control function? To be more specific say I have 2 HDMI sources (Set top box and DVD player), one 2x1 HDMI switch and one HDTV. All are just connected without any signal transaction (ie., all 3 three devices are in power-down mode). Is it possible for me to turn on the DVD player, HDMI switch and TV using the single remote?

5. The HDMI offers many features like one touch play, one-touch record, etc… If I want a one touch play feature is it enough if I press one touch play button in the remote? Will the DVD player be powered on by itself?

6. Consider a display device like TV is present. It is connected to one HDMI source say Set-top box (STB) in one HDMI port and a HDMI switch in another HDMI port (The HDMI switch is assumed to support CEC protocol). The EDID information to both the sources will be stored in the VSDB part of the TV(root sink device).

a. Now, if I connect a DVD player to the HDMI switch how will the EDID information to the DVD player be assigned? Will it be got from the EDID of the switch or the EDID of the TV?

b. Will the DVD player know all the manufacturer configuration details of both the TV and the switch by means of the EDID information transmitted via the DDC channel?

c. Also how will the physical and logical addresses be assigned to the DVD player?

2. salinger

salinger Regular member

I did some research for you an here is what i found: The term HD compatible has been used in Europe along with the term HD ready to market display devices. However unlike with the term HD ready, which has official requirements set by EICTA (European Information, Communications and Consumer Electronics Technology Industry Associations), the term "HD compatible" can basically mean a lot of different things. Typically, the term "HD compatible" indicates that a display device is capable of taking an HDTV-signal as an input (via analog YPbPr or digital DVI or HDMI) but the actual HDTV-signal is downscaled to a lower resolution. This downscaled resolution can be even worse than the SDTV-resolution (e.g. VGA-resolution, 640 x 480 pixels). Therefore consumers should always look for the HD ready logo in the display device to be purchased

No you ask yourself what is HD Ready (This is one of your answers)
    HD ready concerns the ability of television receivers to display high-definition pictures. The term has had official use in Europe since January 2005 when, EICTA (European Information, Communications and Consumer Electronics Technology Industry Associations) announced the requirements for the label.

EICTA introduced the label as a quality sign for the differentiation of display equipment, capable of processing and displaying high-definition signals. It is awarded on the basis of minimum functionality requirements that are detailed in the "EICTA conditions for HD Labelling of Display Devices".

In the USA, "HD Ready" refers to any display that is capable of accepting and displaying a high-definition signal at either 720p, 1080i or 1080p using a component video or digital input, and does not have a built-in HD-capable tuner.

Now if that does not answer everything, i'll tell you with what devices all this HD stuff is compatible with.
    * The display device accepts HD input via:
    o Analog YPbPr. “HD ready” displays support analog YPbPr as a HD input format to allow full compatibility with today's HD video sources in the market. Support of the YPbPr signal should be through common industry standard connectors directly on the HD ready display or through an adaptor easily accessible to the consumer; and:
    o DVI or HDMI
    * HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:
    o 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive scan (“720p”), and
    o 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (“1080i”)
    * The DVI or HDMI input supports copy protection (HDCP)

The following technical references apply to the above descriptions:

DVI: DDWG, “Digital Visual Interface”, rev 1.0, Apr 2, 1999 as further qualified in EIA861B, “A DTV Profile for Uncompressed High Speed Digital Interfaces” May 2002, furthermore allowing both DVI-D and DVI-I connectors, requiring compliance to both 50 and 60Hz profiles, and requiring support for both 720p and 1080i video formats.

HDMI: HDMI Licensing, LLC, “High-Definition Multimedia Interface”, rev.1.1, May 20, 2004

HDCP: Intel, “High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection System”, rev 1.1, June 9, 2003.

(NB: on DVI HDCP rev 1.0 will apply)

YPbPr: EIA770.3-A, March 2000, with the notice that the connectors required may be available only through an adaptor.

I hope that answers all your questions; just so you know and for copyright reasons, i did am not the author of ALL this info.