1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Sound on PS3 to reciever

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by strife10, May 25, 2007.

1. strife10

strife10 Member

Hey guys
    I just bought a new reciever today, it's a Pioneer VSX-917-K (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8274574&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031&id=1171057791987) and I'm having problems hooking up my PS3 HDMI sound to this reciever let alone my cable sound as well. I have no problem when my fiber optic cable is hooked up everything works fine but just having my HDMI cable do do both video and sound is not working. BTW I have changed the settings in my PS3 and my cable box has no settings for fiber optic cable or HDMI options, I think it just says stero or Mono lol...

I have my PS3 and cable box hooked up to my reciever and one HDMI cord going to my TV from the reciever and the video comes through great on both the cable box and PS3 just no sound. I have read the maunel and nothing I am doing is working. I was wondering if someone can give me some tips to fixing this problem. My friend is also having the same prblem. By the way i have a Samsung 56" DLP 1080P TV so everything I have is hi-tech and just about the best you can get. Any ideas?

2. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well after doing a quick search I know why you can't get audio from the HDMI...it's because your receiver doesn't have audio switching.

It's like mine, it only has HDMI Pass-through, meaning it'll only pass video signals, not audio. So you'll have to use the Optical cable in conjunction with the HDMI to get HD video and sound.

3. strife10

strife10 Member

So I'm still a lil' confused. The manuel did say that I have to have some other form of audio hooked up. I do have the optical cables hooked up right now, so when I'm playing a Blu-Ray disc am I getting the HDMI sound even though the optic cable is hooked up I know I wouldnt with a DVD because its only encoded with DTS or Dobly Digtal? I just want to know if I blew $400 and should I return it?

4. strife10

strife10 Member

5. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

If you want to use HDMI for both audio and video through that one cable then you bought the wrong receiver.

The other one you're looking for also would be the wrong one. I'm going to assume your price range is between $400-$500 and you want all black so here's a few suggestions for a receiver with HDMI video and audio switching.

Onkyo TX=SR674
    JCV RX-D702
    Sony STR-DG1000

Again these will all give you audio and video switching, which is what you want if you want HDMI to provide audio and video.

6. strife10

strife10 Member

So its prob. not that big of a deal with the one I have and the other ones. Mine's still a good one ehh? And thanks 4 the help....

7. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Your receiver is fine if you don't mind using Optical for audio and HDMI for just video. That's what mine does, it's an Onkyo SR800 and it's great.

No sense in me spending that much more money on a receiver that has audio/video switching when I can just use an optical cable for audio and save $100+ overall.