1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI & Sound & PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by strife10, May 24, 2007.

1. strife10

strife10 Member

Hey guys
    I have a HDTV (Samsung 56' DLP) and a PS3. Everything is hooked up with HDMI cables. PS3 and cable. For the sound I go with fiver optic cables right now however I'm looking to upgrade to HDMI sound. My receiver right now does not support it however I'm looking to get one that has HDMI outputs. There like $400 at Best Buy.

My question is my TV only has 2 HDMI outputs, how do I hook up the HDMI through my receiver and into my tv. If I hook up the HDMI cable through my receiver does it carry the video to the tv with another HDMI cable hooked up to the reciver (so I'd had 2, one to the PS3 to reciever and one from the reciever to the tv).

I'm not worried able the cable I think the fiber optic cable does just fine. How much better is the HDMI sound over fiber optic cables? Is it worth the upgrade and money right now? Does it improve sound on DVD's not just Blu-Ray because I'm not about to drop $30 bucks for movies right now, I'll stick with DVD's. And what are the best audio settings on the PS3 in terms of the menu options that are avail on the PS3 (i.e. lossless or bitstream) what's the difference? And one other thing, which is better DTS or Dolby Digital?

With the new 1.8 update out with the upscaling, how is the upscaling ability for the PS3 and how does upscaling work?

2. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I don't think a $400 AMP will process HDMI Sound your need a $1000 plus amp like the Sony 5000 the 2000 only does passthough and thats $600.

The cheep ones only do HDMI pass though.

I have the sony 2000 and use the optical. I have been told you can tell the differance, but depends on speaker Q and set-up. so unless you going want to spend about $3000 on upgrading you amp and speakers I'd stick with what you have and use the optical.

There is more chat about this in the AMP section of the forum.

Also you will not get any better sound via the HDMI on DVD as they are not incoded for the extra bandwidth the HDMI can take.

The other more technical question are best asked in the AMP forum.