1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to DVI audio problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by evilal, Mar 2, 2007.

1. evilal

evilal Guest

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help with a problem if encountered, i recently bought a HDMI to DVI connection to watch movies from my desktop, on my HDTV, the resolution is perfect, and everything else went off without a hitch, but the problem i hav is that the sound wont come out of the tv and i still have to use the desktop speakers. I thought HDMI leads were supposed to transfer audio too?, is there anything iv done wrong? i havnt the money to buy any more wires so im really hopin iv just donw sumthing wrong, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

The DVI connection does not carry audio signals. The DVI output from your video card carries only video. You have to connect your sound card to your HDTV to get sound from your HDTV.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  3. evilal

evilal Guest

Thanks for the help, do i need to buy somthing to do this, or should i already b able to do it?and if i dont need to buy sumthin, wat is it?

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

To connect your sound card to your TV you need a cable like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2&style=

The 3.5mm jack connects to the audio out of your sound card (where you connect your PC speakers.) The red and white RCA jacks connect to the stereo audio inputs of your HDTV. You may have to do some changes in the audio settings of your set so when you have the HDMI video input selected the audio from the RCA jacks is also selected.