1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to DVI cable worth it?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gear79, Jul 30, 2005.

1. gear79

gear79 Guest

i just bought a dvd player that has the HDMI output and my 57" hitachi widescreen has a DVI input, so i have to buy me a cable to be able to upconvert to 1080 resolution....... man they are expensive. i went to a local computer shop, and bought a hdmi to dvi cable for around 30 bucks, problem is, i really dont see a dramatic difference in picture quality. i was using component cables before and now i am wondering if it is really worth it to have bought this cable, much less a dvd player that supports the hdmi output. my tv is only 1 year old, so its not like there is a problem there.... is it just because i got a 'cheap' cable (only reason i bought it was to 'test' it out, i can return it in 14 days or less), any suggestions or ideas?

2. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

I haven't bought an HDMI DVD player yet. I was contemplating it, but I've read several articles that say you really don't see all that much of a difference going from components to HDMI. Now maybe with a state of the art 20,000 dollar screen you might, but for a 1,000-5,000 dollar TV I'd say you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

3. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, my tv was'nt cheap, paid $3k for it, (57 inch hitachi w/s) and i bought that lg418 dvd player, i had fairly good component cables before, but now i bought this cheapy cable from the computer store, i see a slight slight slight difference.... (in other words, i was watching a movie on the old player vs the new player, and i could actually see the hair strands on the actor's head with the hdmi player, and the component, they were not as clear. i e-mailed monster cable but have not gotten a reply yet. i asked why are they so expensive and would i really 'see' a difference.

4. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

Yeah, I've heard they look better than component, but not enough to warrant purchasing the 100.00 Monster Cable brand of wires.

5. gear79

gear79 Guest

yeah, well, count me out on that purchase. i will stick with the cable i bought from the comp. store.... however, e-bay does have some good deals on the monster cables.. btw... do you know the mark up on these cables at places like b/b/ and c/c ??? its unbelievable.
    my cousin used to work at c/c and he showed me what the store pays for their items (that day we happened to be looking at digital cables and audio cables) and the mark up is astronomical !!

6. -Jim-

-Jim- Member

Gents,

I've got a new Toshiba 52HMX84 (a 52 inch HD DLP) with HDMI inputs but I too am running component from both my Cable Box and DVD. The Cable Box has DVI output, and I too have been toying with the idea of these cables to improve the HD picture. I really don't know if I'd notice as the current picture is AWESOME!! My DVD is progressive scan and is excellent, but the HD pictures on Cable are quite superior.

The posts I've read suggest there is little improvement if any in moving to an HDMI / DVI cable. HDMI connections are really all about securing digital rights management for HD content - not passing a better signal. A DVI cable has the same capability (on video) and there was really no technical need for HDMI. I know some machines are supposed to include sound on their HDMI inputs but I've never seen one. I don't see much there for me either. If I'm into the Soundtrack, even though the TV has very good TV sound it cannot compare to my 6.1 Surround System. Then I used the SPDIF (coaxial and optical) to my Reciever. I'd think most folks who buy these Large Screen TVs will do the same. :)

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i use HDMI/DVI cables from my denon 5900 (yes, it's the older discontinued flagship model from over a year ago) to my panny HDTV plasma~ i HAD component initially from my dvd player to my receiver and then component again to my tv, the quality of picture was great to begin with.

i went w/ the HDMI cables because my plasma is hdmi equipped, thought i'd give it a try...while the difference wasn't DRAMATICALLY noticeable, i found very small details unseen before when i was using component cables (i use Monster cables too)

so, all in all, personally, i don't think the change from high end analog cables (component) to purely digital cables (hdmi/dvi) is REALLY worth the money. that's just my opinion, but i've used both; the pricing alone on hdmi/dvi cables is enough to steer me clear and stick with component cables that i've had for many years, no sense in dropping another few hundred dollars on more cables :)

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

kivory has all the nice toys and gadgets............... oh wait, he makes like a tirbazillion dollars and hour, extracting bad media intentions outta people's heads and minds !!!
    hey doc, whats up?
    i have toyed around with a few things here and there, and went ahead and just got me an AR HDMI to DVI cable, was not too expensive and did improve my signal, i'd say by 15% over my last computer store bought cable....
    oh well, it was a trial and error for me on this one.

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hi gear~ :)

i experiment ALL the time w/ my own home theater setup, it's a process based on trial and error...if the new hdmi/dvi cable works for you (NOTICEABLY), then GREAT~! :)

i wasted LOTTA $$ on cables alone, only to see minimal improvement, so, im just lettin ya know from experience, i am NO EXPERT in this field, i just use what works for me~ :)

good luck for your future home theater endeavours.

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

yup, it does get quite expensive, by no means do i have state of the art audio/video equipment, but i'd say i've spent countless hours, reading, researching, bugging guys at circuit city and best buy, collecting info, and i probably have around $5k worth of total audio/video equipment, that includes, TV, DVD player, speakers, cables and wiring stuff, receiver, and i did all my installations myself... ran all my wires and cables in wall, thru my attic, only cuz i dont have carpet, so no where to hide them..
    but, my quest never stops, i am always looking for something better, i am now looking into new towers and a new receiver.. which means more $$$ and nagging from the wife.

11. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

I agree with kivory666, I'm an avid Home Theater enthusiast. Highend all the way, but have not made the step up using the DVI out from HDTV Sat. to DVI input (Mit. 55inch HDTV 16X9). Reason, didn't see that WOW! difference that I was expecting. I set up, calibrate others home theaters and when dealing with DLP I would see maybe a bigger difference between my Rear Projection (Love the black level) and the DLP that I calibrated...again not enough to warrent to $ to upgrade. I believe the next big event will be after the first year with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray HD Dvd. (1st year is bug city! Wait...be patient!).
    MovieDud

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, I tell my customers to use there HDMI port(s) with true digital/HD devices like upconverting DVD players and HD-DVD/Blue-Ray when it comes out. I find DVI and HDMI to be over-kill for cable. The only resone some-one should use DVI or HDMI with cable is when HDCP is neccisary since component video isn't HDCP compatible.

Ced

13. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

I was setting up a friend's new dvd player (Denon with HDMI/DVI) he has a DLP with both. The Denon's upconversion looked sharper, more depth than with the component. Yet, the Denon is also $650.00 and then cabling with HDMI ($100.00). I could see on his a little difference, but to me not to make me say WOW! My Denon is hooked up through component. The HD Sat. hooked through component as well (it has DVI but I couldn't tell a significant difference between DVI & Component.
    MovieDud

14. gear79

gear79 Guest

i was at my friends new house last night and he has some kick ass set up, some yammy receiver, Definitive thin line towers and center, and Klipsch surrounds and one hella big Klipsch sub, i think like a 12 or 15 inch, all i know was thats its huge and heavy....... he had it all professionally set up, but he gets a hum from the sub when no signal is sent to it, i told him it sounds like interfearance noise, but he said they had told him it was the sub itself, but have replaced it 3 times. he has some new pioneer 50" wall tv with some kind of box that all the audio/video is connected to, we were drinking a bit last night, so i dont know all the details of his goods, but it sounded very nice, minus the echo.. due to no carpet anywahere and nothing on the walls, but you could feel the bass.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2005
  15. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79, I believe that hum could be normal, and it shouldn't increase when volumne is increased. I had one system where that took place and I hooked the power cord of the sub in a different outlet and no hum, yet today I encourage everyone to invest in filter and line conditioners for their systems. I use Monster Reference Power Conditioner where each component has a special outlet because each component is different, some for video and other s for sound. It sounds like he has the Def Tech Mythos (Great especially for the new plasmas, DLPs, and LCDs). I have full Def Tech all around except for surrounds (B&W Bowers and Wilkes). Have a good day!
    MovieDud

16. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, this guy has spent serious cash in the past year alone, we used to be neighbors in a duplex, he built his house and i bought mine, i'd say he has spent in the neighborhood of a million dollars so far, $500k home, 2 new diesel trucks, 2 50" dlp's, i mean, the list goes on and on.....
    but i will mention it to him to try to plug it elsewhere.

17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No an HDMI to DVI cable isn't worth it. If you have HDMI on the back of your TV then you are better-off buying a high quality HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI "solid state" adapter. When DVI is fased out you won't have to get rid of a perfecly good (and expensive) cable. Just shrug of the $25 adapter and plug right into the HDMI port on your new high def deivice!

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005
  18. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, thats what i bought, a plain hdmi to dvi, only cost me like 30 bucks at a computer store. since my tv has only the dvi input. but thanks for the tip.

19. bikelaw

bikelaw Member

copper is copper, monster cable is way overpirced.

I got two DVI to HDMI for under $20, including shipping from Monoprice.The conect my Comcast Cable box to my Samsung HL-R6178W High Def, 61" TV with excelent results.

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, I can tell you that Monster cables cost like $70 bucks less than what some of the large retailers charge for them (ie BestBuy, Curcuit City, Radio Shack...ect.) They are good cables but not that good. I personally like AR cables.

Ced