1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to High End Projector w/ no HDMI input port

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by coach33, Jul 31, 2007.

1. coach33

coach33 Member

So much for the 'high-end' projector bit.

but, regardless, i am stuck with the projector and need a solution:

Here we go:

I have an Epson 737c Projector that is 1080i compliant, and has Epson's 3LCD technology, making it HDTV compatible.

I wish to go from my newly upgraded Direct TV Box to my Epson Projector with ease, and HD abilities. I have been told by the DTV people that i cannot go into anything without a HDMI port, and they have a 'special' component for this, costing me upwards of $399.

Is there a connection i can make, purchase, or steal that can help me adapt to my projector port?

I have considered component to VGA; hdmi to DVi-I then Dvi-I to VGA; and also just going back to my pathetic RCA connector and screwing the HDTV thing.

It would be nice to have an 8' x 12' screen in the garage tho....

PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW WHAT I CAN DO!

2. coach33

coach33 Member

also- i could care less about audio- i will port that through RCA's out through the receiver and surround sound.

3. Bobby728

Bobby728 Member

So your saying your projector is HDTV compatible 1080i?It has no HDMI connection?What are the Connections on your Projector?What are your connections on your cable box?Because if your projector does not have HDMI or DVI,you will not be able to use that type of connection period.

If you have component or VGA connention,just run the HDTV though the component,or get a $5.00 VGA to component adaptor?It should work Fine.

The reason The DVI or HDMI wont work is that Your projector has to have a HDMI or DVI connection in order for the Cable box to respond to that.Adaptors wont work!!!

4. coach33

coach33 Member

there are the following connectors on the box:

VGA
    S-Video
    Yellow RCA
    USB (2 of them)

Component Video is supported in the spec sheet as:

Component Video: Mini D-sub 15pin (in common with Analog RGB connector);

Video RGB: Mini D-sub 15 pin (in common with analog RGB connector)

Audio RCA *2

Input Signal is listed as:

NTSC, NTSC4.43, PAL, M-PAL, N-PAL, PAL60 SECAM
    HDTV: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i

I dont know what that does for you, but thats what i have. Do the RGB connectors wire down to a VGA and produce a good HD picture?

I bought this model because a bar that i was at had the same one, and the hook-up looked simple- they were broadcasting HD and it was REDICULOUS how crisp the image was.

5. Bobby728

Bobby728 Member

I just looked up your Projector Model,Epson 737c(Nice Projector by the Way)and it has no HDMI or DVI inputs,just component.If your cable box has component,you will just have to use component.I have comcast cable and i use HDTV with my projector.I've been using component connections for about 4 months now,and the picture is just amazing.Gives the nicest 90" pictue in my living room.

Component will be fine,considering your cable box has component?

6. coach33

coach33 Member

also- every connection under the sun is on the back of the Direct TV box... RGB, 2 RCA, S-Vid, HDMI, etc etc

7. Bobby728

Bobby728 Member

VGA adaptor to component is what i use!!It actually came with mine.They are cheap,then get a set of component monster cables,it will have the most amazing pictre.

8. coach33

coach33 Member

got the projector at a great cost, too.... ok- i will go through the components... thanks for your quick info

BTW- Epson is the brightest projector for the Lumens...this thing throws 1600 in low lamp mode, i can have all three bays in the garage open and still see the picture fine usin ght e RCA cable.

in high lamp mode, it is crazy bright, and i throw it from 24 feet away... great little thing.