1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI............

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 0MAR, Jan 12, 2007.

1. 0MAR

0MAR Regular member

I just got a 32 inch lcd tv HDMI Whats the MI is there something special about it or not?

2. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

4. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Diabolos

I have a Sony SXRD KDS55A200 Rear-Projection TV.

Will my TV work w/ 1.3 HDMI cables ?

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

[bold]There is no such thing as an HDMI 1.3 cable.[/bold] HDMI 1.3 defines what is possible and how to do it over the already established HDMI connectors. HDMI 1.3 actually added a new connector for small portable devices (HDMI connector C) but everything is and always will be backwards compatible.

Going back to my USB analogy, USB has two connectors which are both usable with USB v1.0, v1.1, and v2.0. Similarly Firewire uses a large connector for computers and a small 4-pin connector for small and low power devices.

If the cables became obsolete every time an update was made there would be chaos.

Also, devices that are capable of providing all of the services HDMI 1.3 can offer are also compatible with older HDMI enabled devices. Most TVs are HDMI 1.2 while most audio receivers are HDMI 1.1 only.

Ced

6. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

So which is the best type of HDMI cable to use w/ my TV ?

Sony KDS 55A2000

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I have the KDS-60A2000. I've tried 2 different brands of HDMI cable and both have worked very well:

(1) I use a Silver Serpent from bettercables.com to connect a Toshiba HD-A1 to one of the HDMI inputs.

http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3

(2) I also use the monoprice 24 AWG cables (with net jackets) to connect my cable box, a PS3 and a Sony BDP-S1 to an Octava 5x1 switch and from the swich to the 2nd HDMI input.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1024002&p_id=2219&seq=1&format=2&style=

The monoprice cables are much less expensive but in this case inexpensive doesn't mean cheap. I don't see a performance drop-off when I compare the 2 cables.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Any HDMI cable will do. What are you trying to hook up to your TV? If the device has an HDMI output simply use an HDMI-to-HDMI cable.

As far as choosing a cable make sure it is built well by a reputable company. Look for at least Two shields (a Braid and a Foil) that protect against Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and some type of strain relief built in to the connector. With cables that allow you to pull back the connector cover make sure that the solder joints are clean looking, that there is no wire exposed, and that there is no damage to the dielectric.

HDMI is a digital connection so a lot of shielding and proprietary technologies arn't needed. Some will say that you need to buy a really good HDMI cable because HDMI doesn't use error correction but untill TVs require the use of a connection that can carry signals above 1080p/60 this shouldn't be an issue.

This thread is talking about similar topics in the forum room above...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/452288

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  9. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

That's fine. I'm using HDMI cables that were supplied to me from my job. They work fine. I just thought there was some new type of HDMI out, that was better or something ?

These are the cables I have............

http://www.broadbandproducts.com/dgtlvideo_hdmi.html