1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMIv1.3

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by gotpitino, May 9, 2007.

1. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Now all we need are HDMI v1.3 TVs and we are set...

3. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

What's that got to do with being able to get Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD sound? I thought the whole deal HDMIv1.3 was the audio, so why would the TV need to be HDMIv1.3?

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Wow, HDMI 1.3 has more things that affect TV sets than sound, ya know?

-Deep Color

-New colorspace (Xxycc the new world standard)

-Auto lip sync

For everything about HDMI and v1.3

HDMI.org (HDMI 1.3 faq)
    http://hdmi.org/learningcenter/hdmi_1_3_faq.asp

Ced

5. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

I didn't know any of that. Thanks for the info. The receivers will still be must buys if you're watching HDDVD or BD. You can always get a new TV when they're available. Any word on when displays with v1.3 will be out?

6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I think this fall we should see the first HDMI v1.3 TV set. If you already have a recent TV, hold off on it though. While the video features of HDMI 1.3 are nice, it is not worth upgrading a TV right when it comes out (unless you were going to upgrade anyways).

BTW, will they actually use audio like Dolby TrueHD? I remember reading something about that being 18mbps. That means for a 2 hour movie, this audio stream will use up a bit over 15GB. Even with 50GB or 51GB capacity on discs, that is a little excessive. Maybe we will see it in Special releases on those HD DVD triple layer discs.

7. error5

error5 Regular member

AFAIK 18 Mbps is a maximum number (peak bitrate) for both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio (for HD DVD's). However, both lossless schemes use variable bitrate which average from 1.4 Mbps (16/48 Warner HD DVD's) and 3.4 Mbps (recent 24/48 Universal HD DVD's) and depends on the complexity of the soundtrack. This amounts to around 1.2 to 4.2 Gigs for a 2 hour movie.

See post #7 here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10271234&&

The important point here is:

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  8. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

I was definitely planning on buying the TX-SR805 as soon as it was available. Would you recommend holding off on that too. These receivers are starting to be like PC's, as soon as you buy one 3 months later a new and better one at the same price comes out.

9. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Like error5 mentioned in another thread, you'll also need a player that has HDMI 1.3 to take advantage of the receiver's decoding of DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

10. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

The Toshiba XA2 is v1.3 right? Let me ask this before I go spending a couple of grand. If I've got the Toshiba XA2 and one of the new Onkyo receivers, will I be able to listen to Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, and DTS-HD through the speakers that I have? They're some what decent speakers(Atlantic Technology). I haven't read anything that says that the speakers need to be upgraded to here the next gen audio.

11. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

You're right. You don't have to upgrade your speakers and you should be able to get the new sound formats fine with the Onkyo. One thing though, if you have a 5.1 setup right now and if your room can handle it, you'll have the option to add 2 more speakers for a 7.1 setup.

12. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

I do have the 5.1 setup (2 Fronts) a center (2 surrounds) and a subwoofer. If I were to add 2 more speakers, where would they go in the setup? I'm guessing on the sides, but I want to make sure.

13. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  14. gotpitino

gotpitino Member

The only video inputs that my TV have are component and DVI, would this cause any problems as far as running a HDMI-->DVI from the new receiver? I use a HDMI-->DVI from my DirecTV box and it works fine.

15. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

It shouldn't be a problem.

16. gotpitino

gotpitino Member