1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV looks like crap, but same brand pc monitor looks good... help

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by {TKO}, May 31, 2007.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i have a westinghouse 19" widescreen monitor for my PC. i have a westinghouse 37" 1080p monitor only TV in the living room. i was watching the incredibles on my tv and notice that it looked pretty ugly, colors were off, darks were too dark and light were too light at the same time. i tried adjusting the settings but i'm not that great at it. so, just as reference i took the dvd to my PC and played it there. it looks awesome on my 19". one difference is that the PC monitor was calibrated(if that's the right word) using windows media center. now i want to try hooking up the tv to the PC to calibrate it as well, but i would like to pass on the info to my friend so he can do the same. so... is there a dvd or video i can get from somewhere that will do the same thing? it showed videos and pictures and said, "if you see dark lines adjust brightness til they disappear" things like that. i know there's audio cd's to do the same for surround sound systems so i'm sure there's something similar for tv's. thanx in advance for the help.

2. error5

error5 Regular member

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Don't forget about the HQV disc!

Hollywood Quality Video (Benchmark disc):
    http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

This won't help calibrate your TV but it will show you if you did a god job. It will also show you if you tv is at fault for your bad video and not your settings. Sometimes TVs have bad processors that just can't be worked around.

Ced

4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

just for the heck of it i tried the s-video cable instead of the component and for some reason i get a much better picture with the s-video. i also did connect my pc to it and the pc shows a much better picture than the s-video. i'm no expert but i believe from worst to best it should be vga/s-video/component... but it seem to be the other way around. the settings did need a little tweek, but it was mostly the connections. i get my 360 today so, maybe if that looks the best, i'll just play my dvd's on the 360. which i didn't want to do, but it will have to do.