1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV with hdmi DVD problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Xsilver, May 29, 2007.

1. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

I purchased a Technosonic 32" HDTV (Rebadged Thompson) just before the Christmas and everything was good. Xbox 360 looks stunning. The problem I have is last month a purchased a Sigmatek Xmb510 DVD player with HDMI socket. Rigged it up with a decent HDMI lead and all I get is flashes of the picture being displayed and intermittent sound. I put this down to the DVD player being broke so i shipped that into the bedroom.

Now I have just purchased a new DVD player with HDMI. Eltax dv251 and this produces the exact same problem. I have rigged this one up via the component lead and it works ok. I presume that this outputs a picture inferior to the HDMI socket.

The dvd players works perfectly through the HDMI cable when playing a Divx file. I have tried playing DVD's from 480p right through to 1080i and it still the same, picture and sound flashing on every 5 seconds or so which is strange because the sound is coming via coaxial to a logitech decoder.

Now this is the weird thing I have dvd shrinked a number of my films. To my surprise all dvd shrinked films work perfectly through the HDMI connection.

Now i really don't know what the hell is going on.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It sounds like your TV doesn't support HDCP. HDCP is a form of Digital Rights Management that is required to upconvert DVDs because all store bought and rented disc are copy protected (with CSS and other schemes).

I would see if your DVD player works with a TV that supports HDCP to test my theory.

Ced

3. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

Thanks for the reply. I have found out what the problem is. The TV needs a firmware upgrade to fix the problem. There are sending an engineer out next week for free as it is still under warranty.