1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heat gun method gone bad :s

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by lilpaki, May 5, 2007.

1. lilpaki

lilpaki Member

hi all

basiclaly i had a 360 which had a fault. it wasnt actually 3 red lights, but the e74 error. everything i tried on the internet didnt work regarding this error, so i decided to give the towel method a try. it seemed to work, for a few minutes anyway, so i thought that it may be a soldering issue and if i did the more effective heat gun method it would work.

iv done it before so i feel i know what im doing. problem is this time i got a little careless and didnt protect the plastic bits properly. so it turns out that although the console now does power on and work (cant try a game yet but left it on dashbaord all night) i have burns the sata connector on the motherbaord for the cd drive to connect to, and also the 2 blue buttons for the cd drive eject button and the wireless controller button.

using some rubber i replaced the melted bue plastic for the buttons and it seems to work. although there is no click, a firm press will get the button working. the sata port is a little more complecated. iv removed the black melted plastic so i can see the connections on to the motherboard. i plan to cut a sata cable up andand solder each wire to its repective point. a problem iv encounterd is that while the board has 7 solder points i can see, the sata cable contains 8 wires. my question is what wire i connect to what point. pic would be helpful.

thanks

2. 2hry

2hry Member