1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heavy compression fails w/shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by blopper, Mar 20, 2005.

1. blopper

blopper Member

I've been using DVDdecrypter/DVDshrink/Nero to backup for quite a while now. First i discovered problems backing up DVD's with multiple episodes(using reauthor + compression) - there would be freezing and skipping that would occur toward the end of each episode. I eliminated some variables - got good Ritek media, stopped using sticky labels - and now when i try to do anything with Shrink other than "movie only" the dvd's don't even read at all. I'm burning at 4X speed with Ridata 8X DVD-R. I don't know what kind of burner i have, it's 8X DVDdual. What's so great about DVDShrink if you can't shrink freely with it?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

its one of many progs you can use. I use it heavily, as do many many ppl. Freezing/skipping is most definitely not due to Shrink in itself, but at least you seem to have done some homework and ruled out/or tested a few suggestions. i guess the next thing is to focus on the burner, ie exactly what make it is, firmware revision etc.

3. blopper

blopper Member

Thanks for the response. I am actually buying a new burner (NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3520A BK, OEM). I was just concerned about DVDshrink because people have mentioned in other threads that "too much compression" or "a lot of compression" can cause problems in playback, and that was disheartening.

4. creaky

i can only comment on Shrink & Decryptor as i don't personally find the need for anything else and don't have much knowledge of other similar progs; too much compression will simply mean less quality. I guess the nearest symptom to skipping you would see would maybe be crappy playback of fact-action scenes.
    I often see posts where ppl recommend other programs that can give better quality than Shrink, albeit i think they're all or mostly paid-for. Which is fine, each to their own, i don't use anything else so can't advise you. Look for posts from ppl like bbmayo, scubapete etc etc etc, (there's lots more guys too!) who have far more experience than i, and maybe look in the guides on this forum. Hope that helps a little.

ps I have personally burnt many 100s of films, with varying compression ratios. (nearly every single film ripped with Shrink); even films i have done in low 60 or 70% compression (and fast moving action/space movies too) look fine on my 20year old Sony tv, and on my dad's big widescreen modern tv. Other ppl will say different but as long as you use good media, and get a decent burn, the image quality from Shrink is fantastic. Just my opinion and my eyes are fine, not long had new specs :)

The NEC 3500 & 3520's seem to have rave reviews everywhere i've seen them by the way, if my Sony DRU-700A packs up i'd go for the NEC in a snap.

5. blopper

blopper Member

Thanks for more info. I use Decryptor files to get movies on the hard drive, DVDShrink to compress if necessary and Nero to burn, and no other programs. Do you use the same programs? Have you ever backed up TV DVDs with multiple episodes? This is where i see most problems . . . i guess i will find out soon if a new burner helps. thanks

6. creaky

hi blopper. i swear by DVDdecrypter/DVDshrink/Nero; don't need anything else personally. Even the newer protections are (so far) handled via dvd decryptor so i'm happy as larry.

as for modern episodic discs you will need someone who's more knowledgable than me who i mentioned up the post, who know of ways/other programs and some faffing about!, that can probably achieve v good results. I have done a few of these discs, but only of older series, ie kids stuff from 60s and 70s, where quality of the original recordings (ie when the series was first filmed) were of lower quality (for example Cloppa Castle, joe90, etc). In these cases i rip the whole disc as a whole disc as (in my opinion) any loss of quality just doesn't matter.

For newer series, ie x-files etc i just buy them as some of them are fairly cheap these days.

(for movies i only ever do movie-only rips to achieve v good quality with DVD Shrink btw).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005