1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, I'm new and need some help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by qpasha, Aug 17, 2004.

1. qpasha

qpasha Member

I tried reading the guide's, but the terminilogy used goes righ tover my head. I just got a dvd burner and i want o make backups my my personal collection(matrix, fight club, etc). I have the Roxio Easycd/dvd creator 6.0. My question is will this be suffient to burn it and play it in my home dvd player. The reason i ask is because ive heard about needing additional software to support licensing, or something liek that. If i do need additional software, whats a good one, and is it available free somewhere. One final question, i bought a 100 pack of dvd-r, my burner is a dual layer +/- dvdrw, is this the right kind of disk and wil it play in my home dvd player. thanks for taking the time to read my question.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Yes and no. Yes because you can use it to burn your processed DVD files. No because you need other software to rip and compress the film.

You'll need software that can decrypt the copy protection on the DVD and then compress it to fit a blank disc.

I highly recommend both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter for this. Both are highly capable and best of all they're free. They can be downloaded in out software section or by clicking on the names if they're highlighted in blue in this post.

Here's a link to a great site with loads of information and guides for using DVD Shrink:

http://dvdshrink.info/

Sooner or later you need to know the ternminology in order to help yourself as well as accurately describe problems to us if you need our help :)

Here's a link to our Glossary that ought to help you get familiar with some of the terms:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

And here's a great link to all sorts of information about DVDs in general:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

If all this seems too complicated for your tastes then I'd recommend getting Elby's CloneDVD2 along with SlySoft's AnyDVD. This combination is about as easy as it gets but costs $$.

CloneDVD2:

http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/

AnyDVD:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  3. qpasha

qpasha Member

Thank you so much for the info Nephilim. That dvdshrink link was really helpful, and the guides there are written for slow people like me, and they pictures too(yipee), so i understood them alot better. I have a few more questions though if you could help me out. I went to a couple sites(beta news, mrbass, digital digest) through the links that you provided, and although helpful some of the info was seemed contradictory. so here goes.

1. I downloaded version 3.2, and i read at one site that i dont need the dvd Decrypter for this version, does that sound right?

2. Also with this version some sites said that i can burn straight from this software, and others said i need to use other software.

3. Last one. If i do need to use another software, i keep hearing about a program called "NERO", should i download this, or will my roxio work

4. qpasha

qpasha Member

one last question, are the steps any different if i have two drives, one dvd and the other the dvd burner

5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

alot of people recomend nero with dvd shrink because you can enable dvd shrink to automatically burn with nero..
    and as far as taking different steps if you have two drives.... you can read with one while burning it with the other(burn on the fly) but most people wont recommend it.

6. qpasha

qpasha Member

thanks zippyd, the info was very helpful, i saw the nero built in part, so that means that i never even have to open nero, just enable it through the shrink.

7. Nephilim

Hi,

True in a way. Shrink has always been able to rip on it's own so Decrypter was never essential.

Also true in a way. Shrink doesn't have it's own burning engine but it is able to use the engines from either Nero or DVD Decrypter automatically witout the need to open a separate burning app. This newest version of Shrink (3.2) makes it much easier to find and use this feature.

This one is a bit complicated so I'll break it down:

You can use Roxio but the auto burn feature in Shrink doesn't support this app so you'll have to process your film through Shrink and then open Roxio to burn the files that Shrink made. Another strike against Roxio is that it oftentimes doesn't play nice with other burning software especially Nero since it has a tendency to interfere with the burning process for anything else but itself.

Nero, on the other hand, is a very stable and compatible burning suite that, in it's Ultra version, will do everything Roxio can and much more. Shrink is also set up to burn using Nero automatically.

There's a third option. Shrink can also use the burning engine from DVD Decrytper (free) so if you like your Roxio you can keep it and still use the auto burn feature in Shrink :)

8. Nephilim

Forgot this one :p

This is actually the setup that I prefer and highly recommend. You save a lot of wear and tear on your burner, the ROM will rip the disc much faster than your burner can and it allows you to set things up, click "Backup!" and kick back with no other steps needed.

The only different step would be that you place the source disc (the movie) in your ROM (reader), the blank disc in your burner and just point Shrink to the proper drive for reading and the proper drive for burning.

And if I didn't mention it earlier, I highly recommend using a rewritable DVD until you get the bugs worked out and are confident in the whole process :)

9. qpasha

qpasha Member

thanks again Nephilim. After i posted last night i read some more guides in the excellent links that you provided, and i decidied that nero was the way to go, so i got it. My freind was telling me about DVDXCOPY Platinum(because it is an all in one process), but in reading i found that not only did dvd shrink have more options but it was free, just a little more complicated to use.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Personally I prefer the DVDXCopy over DVD Shrink because it is quite a bit faster (at least with my experiences) and the picture quality seems to be a little better (on a 52" HDTV). But I use shrink for any reauthoring and besides it's free. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I already had the DVDXCopy Xpress.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

A brief note -

DVD XCopy isn't being made anymore, the Company is out of business. You might want to re-think buying something that doesn't have a company to back it up -

BTW, Welcome to aD

cheers

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Good point Pete.

13. qpasha

qpasha Member

14. Nephilim

Hi,

Burning straight from one disc to another is what's known as "on the fly" copying and I advise against it. This method strains both your drive's and system's ability to keep a steady flow of data to the burner and can give you failed burns. This method is not available when using Decrypter, Shrink and so forth.

The way Shrink works is by making an image of the movie on your hard drive and then burning that back to the blank disc. This is a tried and true method and will give you the best results.

Very nice choice going with Nero :) Since you're going to use Nero you need to make sure that Roxio is off your system. Perform the standard uninstall through Add/Remove Programs and then run this small utility to clear out the remaining bits:

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi qpasha, Welcome to aD

Just to try and make it clearer,

Let's try to answer the question, "Why do I have to backup to my Hard Drive (HD) ?"

Think of it like you're making a Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Everything you need is in one place, the cupboard. All your DVD files are in one place, the original DVD.

You need a place to put all your ingredients, the Bread, Peanut butter and the Jelly - so that you can assemble them into a sandwich, you use the kitchen table. You need a place to put all the *IFO, *BUP and *VOB files you are taking from the original DVD, you need to assemble them into a VIDEO_TS folder OR you need to put them all together into an *ISO image, you need a place to work, you need the HD.

You assemble your sandwich putting your Peanut butter and your Jelly into two pieces of bread. When you are finished you can one of two things. First, you can leave all the "Fixens" on then table to make another sandwich sometime later OR, you can put it all away and have your table clear again. In DVD backup, we needed the HD to lay out all the IFO, BUP and VOB files and then to assemble them into a folder called your VIDEO_TS folder OR to put them all together onto an ISO image. When you are finished you can do one of two things. First, we could leave them on the HD to make another backup DVD later OR we can have them in a temporary folder to be deleted and have our HD space clear again.

So, back to our original question - If you want to do a backup of an original DVD you'll have to backup your DVD to your HD in order to work on it to make your backup disc.

You can copy a backup copy (copy a copy) "on the fly" (without involving your HD) because it's already decrypted and processed to fit on a single disc.

Now that you know why, you can forget about that nasty old question and you can follow the bread crumbs back through the forest till you arrive safe and sound back in your own little bed. :)

Goodnight now and pleasant dreams :p)

.IFO files = Information files
    .BUP files = More information files
    .VOB files = Movie files
    ISO image = A single block of information holding all the information, audio and video of the movie. About the only thing you can do with an ISO image (without the help of an entirely different program is to burn it to a disc. This block of information cannot be opened to allow access to what's inside without another program to do so, i.e. ISO buster

cheers,

16. qpasha

qpasha Member

I loved the peanut butter and jelly sandwich analogy, thanks it's probably the best way i've heard the process explained, very infomative and help, thanks scuba.

17. ispy

ispy Regular member

qpasha
    If you do use Nero 6,dont install the part of the package called InCD.It,s packet writing software that can conflict with other ripping/burning processes.
    ispy

18. qpasha

qpasha Member

quote]If you do use Nero 6,dont install the part of the package called InCD.It,s packet writing software that can conflict with other ripping/burning processes.[/quote]

ispy, does this automatically install with the exe, when i install or do i have to install it later. should i uninstall then then use the manual function to install.

19. qpasha

qpasha Member

i did a file seearch oin my computer and it didnt find anything, so i think i;m ok, buit wheni installed nero i just did t the automatic install, so do you think i still have a problem?

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

qpasha, There are 4 update packs that can/should be installed seperately with Nero's Ultra 6. ispy is saying don't install no.3-InCD, this is a good idea, it is more problem causing than problem solving. You do need to install packs 1,2 and 4. The link is on the left side of the nero homepage for ultra 6. Follow it and the packs will be at the bottom of the page.