1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

helo from a PC guy....trying to make 1 usable PC out of two.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hayden58, Feb 23, 2007.

1. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

ok i have a AMD Athalon 900mhz with 30gb hd and 128 ram which its sharing 16mb for i assume the monitor? i think it has an internal graphics? there is no graphics card, it runs off a little box right off the motherboard. i dunno. however, not great. so its got 112 meg of ram. appears to be PC133. i completely reinstalled XP (yeah i know its not as fast as 98 would be) but thats all i had. i have it in classic view and options set so it runs decently. the motherboard has 2 PCI slots and 2 ram slots. the motherboard is gold in color. it has 2 usb ports on it, and one doesnt work. keep in mind this computer is only used for surfing the net VIA DIALUP, and word/excel use. (im trying to give all details i can.)

now, i got a free computer from work that has a bad Hard Drive, this computer i think is slightly older that the one listed above....its got a 700mhz processor, i opened it up, and its got a gold motherboard also, but with 5 pci slots, and 3 ram slots. in it is a graphics card, and an ethernet card. i pulled the single ram stick out and it is PC100 and looks like 64mb.....it says 16x64 but its gotta be 64mb it cant be 1GB if its like 5 years old. plus its PC100. my questions are.........
    is anything usable on this computer? either to put into the 1st one, or sell? would the 64mb pc100 work with the PC133 128mb? is this 2nd motherboard better? where on the motherboard do i get the details about it? is it worth anything to sell it? can i take the usb ports that are right on the motherboard and put them on the other one? what else can i mess with just for fun and learning? i dont know a ton about building stuff or how it all works, but i have put in a mothboard b4, a HD, and 5-10 CD/dvd Drives.
    what can i do for fun/learning/improving the 1st piece or junk?

edit:

also, should i put in the graphics card, or use the onboard one?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

They are both quite old computer's .
    But the second one is miles better,for the one and only reason that it
    has 1 gig of ram compared to the maesly 128 the first one has.

I can't see you making much money of selling it though.

I don't think you'll get much for either of them though.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

looks like you've just got a cheap ol' spare parts machine. it wouldn't even be good as a linux server. just too old.

you could use them as internet/word processor machines, but nobody's going to buy any of those parts.

4. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

i guess i was unclear.....i dont want to sell anything really. i just wanna use the best of the parts from each one. like how do i know which motherboard is better etc....and should i use the graphics card, or use the onboard monitor connector? both were free, so this is just a progect, and its just for internet surfing and word processing.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

for the most part, pieces from one machine aren't compatible with pieces from another. you could experiment and try putting the ram from the second machine into the first, but considering it's clocked slower i don't know if you'd feel much gain. that's about all you could really try there.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

hayden, use the 64meg stick with the 128meg so windows will run a bit faster. use the pci videocard to free up the motherboard ram for xp use. what is the problem with the bad usb port? what make is the 700mhz cpu? what is printed on the board like asus or msi?

7. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

thanks ddp, thats what i was looking for, ill put in the video card and try the ram. the usb port, one works, and one doesnt recognize that anything is even plugged into it.

8. ddp

take a look at both usb ports where you plg into to see if any damage in the dead 1.

9. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

ILL CHECK IT WHEN I GET HOME, WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR?

10. ddp

damaged or bent pins. also knockoff the caps lock as is refered to as shouting in the forum rules.

11. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

sorry about the caps, i have a work program that requires caps, and sometimes i forget.....i have rewritten huge paragraphs because i didnt notice the caps was on until i finished writing them.