1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, 3.03 oeb psp won't read UMD's

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by 7ender, Jan 15, 2007.

1. 7ender

7ender Guest

Hi Guys,
    Usually I don't post on these forums, but I really need some help now. I bought a used PSP from a friend only 2 days ago, and unfortunately it will no longer read my UMD's. Unfortunately, returning it is out of the question. I have searched around for a solution, but because I am very upset I just decided to ask you guys for help. Below are some things that may have caused my situation.

-The psp stopped working when I took out a UMD when the psp was still starting up (with the sony entertainment screen). I'm not sure if this is bad, I was very hasty with the psp. Usually I read the manual and everything, but I didn't this time. I also regularly took out the UMD's while they were still spinning (is there a way to eject them?)

-The laser, as far as I can tell, is still moving. I have read about a few people whose laser got stuck, but when I hold the psp to my ear I can hear it buzzing.
    -The UMD on the other hand, is not spinning. If I take it out while it is loading, it just pops out with out any spin, if that makes sense. I have tried multiple UMD's.

-The firmware was originally 2.00. I downgraded to 1.50, then upgraded to 3.03 oe-a followed by 3.03 oe-b. It worked great after I first upgraded. I also have various homebrews on it, including pspradio, wifi seeker, beats of rage, and daedelus.

-I can't say for sure, but I think the psp has been used very little. It is in like new condition, so i'm very bummed something happened.

-I don't know if it matters, but the screen has 18 stuck pixels (yes eighteen). Quite honestly though I don't mind them, at first they were annoying but now I don't even notice them.

If there is any other information I can give you guys that may help me, please let me know. Any help, advice, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks alot, I love this forum : )

2. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

when you eject the umd disc, most likely it shouldn't move at all. It should also do a buzzing sound. When u put the UMD on ur psp, does the UMD pops out from the XMB? Do u see a UMD image ?

And... It is great the u play homebrew games :)

3. 7ender

7ender Guest

Hey thanks man.

I guess I kind of worded my thread akwardly. what I meant by buzzing was the sound of the laser moving back and forth (at least that's what I think it is). ANd when the UMD drive was working and I ejected a UMD, the disc would come out spinning. It not longer comes out spinning. No UMD icon shows up either, and if i try to power on the psp with a UMD in it, it just stays on the opening screen with wavy lines going through it.

4. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

3.03 OE-A is ur firmware rite?

Go to Settings
    Click System Cofig or something like that (the place where u see ur firmware)
    Enable the UMD start feature.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  5. 7ender

7ender Guest

It's actually 3.03 oe-b, but same thing.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean. I have turned UMD auto start on and off but neither works. I also have enabled and disabled the noumd feature in the configuration menu in recovery mode. Sigh, I really don't know what's wrong

6. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

did it worked before u downgrade?

7. 7ender

7ender Guest

Yea, it did actually. But it also worked after the downgrade, but only for a short time.

8. gzach

gzach Regular member

try going back to 1.5 then reflashing 3.03 oe-a again