1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help -700mb file to big for dvd,im confused

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by thnbg, Jan 6, 2005.

1. thnbg

thnbg Guest

I downloaded a movie file that says its 700mb & it shows on my harddrive as a 700mb file, but when I try to burn to a 700mb cd-r media nero says the file is to big. so i tried burning to a 4.7g dvd-r media & nero say the file is 5.8g & it needs to be compressed manully. now im really confused can someone please help.

2. .Apu.

.Apu. Guest

Is it an avi, or is it dvd files?

3. thnbg

thnbg Guest

its a avi file,im trying to convert to vcd

4. Newb112

Newb112 Member

I have the same problem, Which is weird because i didn't before, but now... when i convert a 700mb AVI to vob with WinAVI it ends up being 5 or 6 gigs, and i used to convert with WinAVI all the time and 700mb was never more than 3something gigs !?!

5. Newb112

Newb112 Member

Help would be be greatly appreciated please.

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you are converting then the size of your source file does not matter one single bit. Could be 2MB, could be 20GB's, it doesn't matter. What does matter its length and your output files bitrate. In tha case of VCD, 1min = 10MB's. If your 700MB source file is 80mins or under then it will fit on an 80min CDR as a VCD, if it is over 80mins then it won't. Similar thing applies to DVD, but the bitrates aren't fixed, however the maximum that you can fit is about 7hours if you go for 1/4 res.

7. Newb112

Newb112 Member

Oh i see so it goes by length it seems, so how long time wise do i have with a 700mb file being transformed to dvd+r 4.35gb? Thanks for the help!

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Asking how long a 700MB file is is like asking how long a piece of string is. Could be a few secs of RAW footage or it could be 3 hours of highly compressed h.264.

But as I said the absolute max you can fit on a DVD5 is around 7 hours, but that is at 1/4 (VCD) res. If the file is between 1-3hours then you should be able to get decent quality at full DVD res and still fit it.

9. shiroh

shiroh Guest

does nero get confused with vbr audio too ?