1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a Gal out w/ her p2p

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Shortcake, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Shortcake

Shortcake Guest

Hi there! This is essentially for someone who goes by Ghostdog, b/c he seems to know his stuff. I could be wrong, though, so I'd like all the input I can get from everyone. My Kazaa has been acting up very badly lately and now won't work at all. I'm thinking of unistalling the whole thing and trying something else. Good Idea? Bad idea? Here's what I want: THE FASTEST, safest, least bothersome (little spyware/little ads), p2p network that I don't have to pay for and on which I can find anything I want (I like jam bands like SCI and Phish, and they're often more hard for me to find on Kazaa than other songs that play today. movies are difficult, as well.) So, my question is, which network do I use. Tell me all - curious mind wants to know. Thanks!

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well as for the kazaa problem, completely remove it and install kazaa lite (k++ edition) from http://www.k-lite.tk

That network doesnt really exist because the ones with all the files can be slow, like the donkey network (which emule, edonkey, overnet etc etc all use). Maybe Bit Torrent might be a good choice however. Or go right to the top and learn how to use IRC!

3. Shortcake

Shortcake Guest

Thanks, Dela. However, which of the suggestions you gave would be... the fastest? I could deal with super fast and maybe a moderate collection of files for music and movies. But not minimal. Which do you yourself use or prefer - if you don't mind my asking?

4. Dela

For p2p, Bit Torrent, eMule, DC++. And besides p2p, IRC.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

and Overnet too! hehe (O-net is a different implementation of the Donkey network, similar to eMule). And of course, IRC/Newsgroups.
    :)

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

If I were you Shortcake, I would stick with Kazaa Lite. It's definitely got an easier interface than eMule, and it's very easy to get a 80 kbs+ speed on it (If you have broadband). And it's practically the best P2P program to get common to not-so-common mp3 files. If you spend about 5 minutes searching as well, you can even find rare mp3 files. But then I'm not you, so it's your choice ;)

7. jznelly

jznelly Guest

I use Kazaa Lite and IRC. IRC is a bit complicated but after about a week of using it i was good at it. I use IRC for all my downloads except normal songs, becuase it is much easier to use kazaa for that. I also have never had a fake file on IRC and have had about a million fakes on Kazaa.

8. BroRoach

BroRoach Member

i like kazaa lite a lot, i've tried other P2P networks but they all seem too complicated. as for fake files, lately (the past few months) i have been getting A LOT of fake files also and i sort of found a way around it. go to buymusic.com and find the song you want to download. look at the length of the song, then on kazaa do the same for the files your looking to download. although this doesnt work 100% of the time, it helps a lot. also, if you know any other site that shows the length of a song, that'd work too.

9. Dela

What sudggesting kazaa?? what has this forum come to. At the end of the day, Overnet, eMule, Bit Torrent, DC++ etc etc all beat kazaa hands down! I still cant believe people find kazaa the best, when will everyone learn whats the point of getting something fast if its fake?

10. BroRoach

BroRoach Member

do you have MSN? i wouldnt mind tryin new progs, all i like about kazaa is how simple it is to use and such....i've never tried any of those you listed off.

11. Dela

Sorry I dont hand out my msn, however, the thing about kazaa is that the other p2p networks arent complicated at all. lol people are getting lazy with p2p or something. You cant expect a really really really easy network to give you the best stuff their is lol (well i guess bit torrent does lol)

12. Praetor

Eeeeeeeek! Bad kazaa! bad! *Praetor runs off screaming at the mention of Kazaa*

13. Dela

exactly :S

14. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Della, you are right. I am new to p2p, & Out of 13 movies from Kazaa-lite, 3 were fakes, and most others had poor picture quality, & on one, the company had put its logo, left to right(horizontally) on every frame!. For the amount of days it took to down-load those movies, I pesonally, was totally not pleased. Glad I came upon this thread. Heard of "Bit Torrent" & "IRC". One user said it took one week to learn to use the application?? Are there guides to learn "how to use" these two applications?
    P.S. with some users being sued for copy right infrigments "stealing", & according to the After Dawn news letter, a person who acquired P3's illegally, is getting a stiff monetary fine and prison sentence! How safe is all this?
    keep us posted

15. nik99

nik99 Regular member

ok
    firstly
    1-klite woulld be fastest -but also with max no of fakes-movies you will always get fakes
    klite-fastest=low quality.good for old files tho

2-IRC & BT=2nd fastest=no fakes absolutely

and no queue systems also unlike the ones il mention below(in irc no ques-only if u know where to look =availabel slots.but ul find only relatively newer files here.

3-emule,overnet,Dc+ =equally fast =also no fakes=high quality
    Win mx-only music
    rarest of files found here.like k lite

only disadvantage is you need time to build up speeds.cause these are built onn que systems and credits based on uploads.if you have patience these wil become fast if not faster than klite=

note-all these speed considerations aply to those with slow to medium fast connections not to those lucky F@@$$ with superfast cable..like a certain sum1 i know with 3mbps..;-)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]I think animal testing is a bad idea; they get all nervous,
    and give the wrong answers.

aD Channel on IRC: Server: rod.liquidirc.com channel: #ad_buddies
    http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html -the liveliest F1 Forum[/small]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  16. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Nick99: Thanks for advice.
    1)Please explain what u mean by QUES, & System credits for IRC.
    2)I have high speed Internet, with down-load rate of 1700, butin K-lite, most were avail. @ max. 400. Makes no diff. if I have higher download speed or not.
    3)Are there guides as to how to use Bit Torrent & IRC?
    P.S. As I prev. mentioned: with people being sued, is p2p still safe to use?
    Regards

17. nik99

nik99 Regular member

dude...(or gal)dunno wich

1-queues systems and crdeits were for point 3(e mule,Onet not IRc-
    2-400 kb/sec...? wow
    3-Safe...I feel its a matter of indiv perception
    sum use PG and think they r safe
    sum otherz are not in US ..so they think they r safe
    and still otherz dont give a fuk eitherways.

there can b no 100%foolproof method.
    itl always b a cat and mouse game..Pro and anti p2p lobbies will keep cummin up with newer solution to trap the other.

18. Praetor

19. nik99

nik99 Regular member

yep thats a neat guide

20. koola

koola Guest

For movies, use WinMX. Much better than crappy/fake kazza. Out of the 127 movies I downloaded this month, none were fakes! There are also newer releases on this network so check it out :D