1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a Noob - Simple Answers Needed Desperately!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dalec, Jul 19, 2003.

1. dalec

dalec Member

I've searched the forums and have found many long winded jargon filled answers that have not helped me as I am a raw noob when it comes to burning ps2 games.

I have just purchased a Slide Card mod and I haven't been able to test it yet as I haven't been able to burn any games!

Basically, I want to be able to burn a DVDROM PS2 game onto a Normal CDROM with a DVDROM/CDRW Drive.

I have read the tutorial which is extremely advanced and talks about hex editing and dummy files, I would like to know if there is an easier alternative. Perhaps some sort of compression device.

I have a DVD Writer as well but I do not want to keep purchasing blank DVDS all the time.

Please help me out I would be most grateful, I know these questions have been answered before but not in an easy to understand format which is the point of this thread. If someone could just some up a routine or set things straight in my head they'd be a life saver.

Thanks people.

Dale C

2. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

well, really, i don't think there is an "easy" way to do it, since in order to fit a DVD game onto a normal CD-R you have to either take the route of reducing the quality of the audio/video's or swap them for "dummy" files........either way, i'm pretty sure you need to edit the other files too, so that the game thinks it's all how it's supposed to be. i mean i'm no expert, but i looked into that dvd game "ripping" thing, and i found no easy way to do it..........there are set applications which are supposed to do everything for you, or at least have everything you need right there (for example Atlantis PS2 Backup Toolkit-----i think that's what it's called), but even with these you still need to know what you're doing interms of removing dvd checks, etc.

basically, if you have a DVD-Burner, i'd stick to doing straight copies...........i know the discs are expensive, but really, it's the best and easiest way to go about copying dvd games.

3. dalec

dalec Member

OK thanks buddy. Does anyone know any good places for cheap blank DVD's?

Thanks again.

4. jay33

jay33 Regular member

The "easy" thing to do woud be to go buy a dvd burner for your computer. The price of these has dropped quite a bit.

5. dalec

dalec Member

I have one!!

I now have blank DVD's. A DVD Burner and Nero 5.5, could someone help me configure the settings for Nero I dont have a clue what to do! Cheers.

6. dalec

dalec Member

I'm really stuck, I have no idea what settings to use in Nero, apart from that Im ready to go. I dont want to risk trying it and wasting a dvd because i have the wrong settings.

EG What is Joilet and so on? Could someone perhaps offer me some standard settings they use for Nero?

Cheers

7. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

Using Nero

1. Start Nero, Use the Wizard (for easy use)
    2. Select "DVD" then select Next
    3. Select "Copy a DVD" then select Next
    4. Select your source drive
    5. Select or Deselect "copy on the fly" then click next
    6. Select your write speed
    7. Select either "Test", "Test and Burn" or "Burn"
    8. Press "Burn" to begin

This next way is without the Wizard

1. Start Nero, and select "File" then "New..."
    2. On upper left side of the window from the drop down menu select "DVD"
    3. Select "DVD Copy" Icon
    4. Select "Copy options" tab
    5. Select or Deselect "copy on the fly"
    6. Select source drive and read speed
    7. If needed Select "Image" tab to choose image directory and select/deselect "delete image..."
    8. Select "Burn" tab and choose your settings
    9. Press "Copy" to begin

8. dalec

dalec Member

Seen that mate, it doesnt talk about any of the advanced settings e.g. joilet, udf file structure, layering etc. etc. that I want to ensure I have right before I head off burning CD;s.

Another question, will a re-writable dvd work ok? I heard somewhere they dont but id like that clarified if possible. Thanks a lot for your help so far guys.

9. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

The settings right after you successfully install Nero should be fine. If you are unsure if your settings are correct are not just reinstall Nero. Also I would not use dvd-rw because the only time they have been known to work is on v7 and even then there's only about a 30% chance it will work. So use r's and not rw's.

10. dalec

dalec Member

Thanks mate I love you. I'll try it out and report back with my progress. Cheers.

11. jay33

jay33 Regular member

To burn ps2 games to blank dvd, simply use dvd decrypter to rip & burn....couldn't be any easier

12. dalec

dalec Member

ATTEMPTS FAILED MISERABLY..

Used MagicISO to create ISO, then DVD Decryptor to burn ISO onto DVD. Freezes on startup with a pink line along the top of the screen.

Please, urgent help required. Where to go from here?

13. dalec

dalec Member

*bump*

14. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

Just re-install Nero and follow Hanedrick's nice little guide that he graciously posted here, it's that simple.

15. dalec

dalec Member

What version of Nero?

P.S - Ive sent back my Slide Card and Swap Magic disk PS2 chip it sucks ass, can anyone recommend a good chip thats reliable?

Cheers

16. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

The latest version of Nero. Also, I highly recommend swap magic and the fliptop cover. No need to solder a single wire and with the anticipated release of ZoneLoader, the fliptop will be even better! :)

17. dalec

dalec Member

I dont understand all of this flip top malarchy. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

18. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

A fliptop case is a 'replacement' for the cover of your PS2. Instead of using the eject button, you 'open' the top of the case and put the cd/dvd in. A fliptop 'combo' pack comes with the fliptop case and the swap magic cd/dvd. You boot with the appropriate disc (dvd swap magic for dvd based games and the cd swap magic for cd based games) and then when it tells you, you swap the boot disc for your 'backup' game. Simple as that. You can find more info at
    http://www.ps2fliptop.com

19. dalec

dalec Member

That looks even harder to install than the Slide Card. By the way the Slide Card is simply atrocious, its nowhere near as easy as it looks, the card is tacky and flimsy and the hook takes little or no resistance.

20. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

The fliptop is a breeze to install. Unscrew your cover, removed the reset/eject buttons, place them in the fliptop, put the fliptop on, re-insert screws and your all set. Everyone that's ever done one says it takes no more than 20mins tops. I did mine in under 10mins.