1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help about online connection

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Henry007, May 30, 2007.

1. Henry007

Henry007 Member

i have a laptop computer, wireless modem. i have wireless capabilities on laptop and i have connected ethernet cable from laptop to ps3 cannot connect on wireless or wired. it times out on ip address failure. do i need a router. i thought my computer was acting as the router in this situation. or how can i solve this problem, thanks henry.
    connecting on wireless you need to know wep codes and shit i have no idea what they are either. i was told though that wired connection is better so i was trying for that a lot more.

2. jesse286

jesse286 Regular member

That's tough to say if you need a router or not I have one and it works fine. And I'm sure in some cases a wired connection is better unless you're not to far from your router like me cause I can get 100% connection.

3. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

NO no... Yes you need a router if you want to connect muiltiple network devices to you internet connection... If you are connecting the laptop to ps3, that would be called bridging... In that case you have to config your laptop netwrok connection to bridge to you ps3 basically sharing your laptops connection... as far as WEP keys... If you set up WEP key then you have to enter it in in order to connect to your router..If not then its unsecured and you shouldnt have to enter a wep key......

4. Henry007

Henry007 Member

so i definately need a router or can i do like you said and bridge the connections. tried bridging, ps3 recognises when i pull ethernet cable out and somehow still isn't connecting, i have the bridge network connected and the local area connection connected but the wireless connection will not connect do all 3 need to be connected, still unsure of some things but thanks for your help before.

5. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

You DONT need a router, its easier to get one but what you wan to do can be done without one(I've used the same setup).
    So your wireless connection connects to your Laptop to modem, and you have the Laptop wired to the PS3?
    Have you tried going into Network Connections selecting both your wireless connection and your LAN connection to the PS3, right clicking one of them and selecting bridge connections. If that doesnt work then might need to go into a more advanced setup.

6. Henry007

Henry007 Member

ok, have tried and connected up bridge, all seems fine except can't seem to connect to access point, the wireless network connection i cannot get to connect, when you select network connection i don't know which one is mine and i made a connection but it dosn't appear on the screen. if you could help with this it would also be greatlful.
    cheers henry