1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! any advice about modding ps2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mikenguye, May 25, 2004.

1. mikenguye

mikenguye Member

hey you guys, ive never moded the ps2 and im kinda worried about doing it. can n e one help me. tell me the first step till the last, from where to buy it, to the final step to how ot copy games.

To give a brief info of the answers im tryign to look for, if n e one can give me a brief summary of what to do.

Steps:
    1. Im thinking of buying the flip top. *dont really know n e thing about it. but from what i read alitto bit about, its not soldering any mod chip so that would be great* i dont really intend to open up my ps2 but if i have to i will. So any info about the flip flop top would be great. where can i buy it? what websites can i go to.

2. How can i install the flipflop top? is there a website where it shows a tutorial for it. the exact steps to doing so.

3. once it is install, is there n e thing i have to do? such as in xbox install a bios. or once it is installed is it ready to go to play copied games.

4. how can i copy games? i have nero, what other programs do i have to use.

thanx for any advice you guys can give me ill really appricated it.

2. conny119

conny119 Guest

1.you'll have to open your PS2 to install a fliptop but you won't have to do anything other than taking of the top, but if that still scares you, can get a slide tool.

2. i couldn't find a site that has a guide but it's as simple as unscrewing the screws under your PS2 then remove the lid then replace the old lid with the fliptop. then screw the screws back in.

3. the most important thing you need is swap magic,

4. to make backups use dvd decrypter it's a free shareware from this site and here are the steps to back a game up, use DVD Decrypter
    it's fool proof,
    1. Start DVD Decrypter
    2. Select Mode, go down to ISO Read
    3. Select your Reader & Destination
    4. “Decrypt” the ISO Image to the Hard Drive
    5. Wait for the ISO Image to be made
    6. Select Mode, go down to ISO Write
    7. Select the ISO Image file you made, click “Open”
    8. Select your Burner, Write speed & Burn the ISO
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V4 PS2 with duo chip
    V9 PS2 with swap magic and slide tool(sisters)
    just made member!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2004
  3. mikenguye

mikenguye Member

thanx, but where can i buy the flip top? is there n e website?. can any one put a link for it here?

4. mikenguye

mikenguye Member

also i forgot what is the swap magic? n e information about that would be great. what does it do and how do i use it if i have the flip top installed thanx people for all the info

5. conny119

conny119 Guest

where abouts do you live? swap magic is a boot disk that loads up backup games with the use of the fliptop, slide tool or a no solder modchip. it's the next best thing to having a modchip installed quite of people go for it as there is no chance of breaking your PS2. this is how you use a fliptop and swapmagic combo

Press eject and place the Swap disk in the tray

Press reset and wait until the message "Load Program"/"insert disc" appears

Lift the flip top lid and replace the swap magic with your media
    press X on the control pad, The game will now load
    here is a link for a english site but you can get it cheaper somewhere else
    http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=303

6. mikenguye

mikenguye Member

i live in california. so yeh, hmm if there are n e other sites, where u can buy it. can u post it. doesnt the flip top ranges around 20 bucks. but yeh it doesnt really matter. yo conny can i trust the site that u posted up? just cerious. i have a thing about internet scams...

7. conny119

conny119 Guest

the site is trusyworthy but i'd go for a site close to where you live, england is a far way away to ship the shipping cost would be a bomb. you could try http://consolesource.com/ecomm/customer/home.php?cat=4&page=2
    i've heard good things about them. the 20 dollars you were talking about is just for the fliptop and not swapmagic. i think shipping is free if you're not botherd about waiting awhile to get ( a week to two weeks). if you go for the fliptop and swapmagic you'll have to find out what verison PS2 you have the fliptop comes in 2 types a type for the older V1's to V3's and another type for the newer V4's to V7. if you have a really new PS2 like a V9 or V10 you would need swapmagic 3.2 cd version. to find out what version PS2 you have check the bottom of the your PS2 if it has 10 screws you have either a V1 to V3 and if you have 8 screws you have a V4 to V10. check out here if you want to find out your specific version
    http://www.modchipshop.com/ps2/v5v6v7.htm

8. mikenguye

mikenguye Member

oh i got my ps2 the first time i got released. so mine is very old. so iono if that is any help but thanx for all the links and the advice. i really apprecaited it.

9. flm

flm Guest

mike, the fliptop is not the greatest solution. I am out here in oceanside CA. If you need a mod shoot an email to FRONTLINE-MODS@cox.net You will be better off with a solder-in chip then a fliptop.

Second thing, depending on the useage of your ps2, your laser may or may not be up to the job playing backups. Not to say it wont, but the newer ps2's on the market have lasers that are built for cdr and dvdr media. FRANK