1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! avi's burn successfully, but cannot play through D Drive!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by noodz, Jul 11, 2003.

1. noodz

noodz Member

hi.

i have a couple of avis that i have burned. the burn was technically sucessfully, at least that's what's mentioned. but when i try to play it from the d drive, i can hear the cd loading, up i can hear it spinning and churning, but nothing happens. eventually my computer crashes.

the weird thing is, the avi's don't play from the D drive, but i can copy that avi from the d drive onto the harddrive and play from the C, and it works.

what's going on?

i have had the problem with different avi's. so i don't think it's the avi.

i can play avi's from other disks just fine. it's just the ones that i burn now that have the problem.

i have burned other avi's (by chance) successfully, i don't think it's a hardware problem.

well, i suppose the cdr's that i have are defective, but i just a bought a spindle them. how is that i have so many of them defective so far?

yes, i use easy cd creator, but this is because i prefer over Nero. (the playback of avi's i burn with a Nero stutters mid point to the end point of the movie which is extremely annoying)

(i've also tried using Nero and i get failed disc. i can't play avi's and also, i can't even copy them onto my harddrive.)

anyone know what might be wrong here?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
  2. noodz

noodz Member

some more information, this is the error that occurs when my cd player tries to read an avi:

MPLAYER2 caused an invalid page fault in
    module AWRDSCDC.AX at 017f:017e6e74.
    Registers:
    EAX=006ab150 CS=017f EIP=017e6e74 EFLGS=00010206
    EBX=006aa8d0 SS=0187 ESP=00fef934 EBP=00fefa98
    ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=00000001 FS=367f
    EDX=00000001 ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    8b 01 ff 50 08 8b 10 8b c8 ff 52 24 8b 10 8b c8
    Stack dump:
    017dc47b 006aa918 017e0214 00000000 006aa87c 006aa7e0 00680e78 535c3a44 6e696863 72656c64 4c207327 20747369 39393128 432e2933 552e3144 612e6f46

---

is this the result of defective cdr or a defective cd writer?

i'm begging for answers.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Try copying the AVI from the CD to the harddive and playing them. Do they copy fine? Do they play fine? If so then that indicates that the CDs were burnt find and its just that either the CDdrive is too slow or your system isnt quite up to the task of playing the movies off cd. If they dont play fine off the harddrive, try defragging and trying agaiun.
    2. If the movies play fine off the harddrive, check that your CD drive has DMA enabled (rather than PIO). To do this:
    -Right Click on My Computer
    -Properties
    -Hardware
    -Device Manager
    -IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    -Right Click on Primary/Secondary IDE Channel
    -Properties
    -Advanced Settings
    -"DMA If Possible"
    -Reboot
    3. What are your system specs? What OS are you running? I suspect it is just that your system isnt quite up to the task of playing movies off cd....

4. noodz

noodz Member

thank you very much Praetor for the reply.

one of the avis which i can't play from the d drive, i can copy to the c drive and play.

another one though (all attempted copies of it)cannot copy to the c drive.

all avi's however do play on the harddrive.

i can play avis on other cds that i've made before is started having these problems.

dma is enabled.

again the same failure happens for both easy cd creator and Nero. the avi's burn "successfully" but i can't play them. they simply loads and loads, churns and churns, clicks and clicks, and nothing happens till the error message occurs (as posted above).

i'm on windows 98. my processor is an old 500 mhz intel celeron. (i know i'm in the stone age)but this should be irrelevant since i've been burning avis for quite some time. i'm only recently having this problem. i hope it's not my cd recorder itself. and i'd hate to think that i bought a spindle full of defective cds (i'd be pissed).

what do you make of this?

thanks again for the help. if you can produce a diagnosis, you would be da man.

thanks again.

5. noodz

noodz Member

UPDATE!!

i figured out it's actually the cdr's that are defective since i got different cd's from a friend and was able to burn avis and play them successfully.

case closed.

but now, since i went out of my way to make sure it wasn't my system, i kind of fugged up my configuration for easy cd creator. and i've actually had to reinstall easy and nero.

here's what i want to know:

now, if i have only 500 mb left on my harddrive and i'm trying to burn 700 mb avi, Easy CD Creator has to allocate 700 mb in order to burn. so unless i have 700 mb more free space i can't burn anything. previously, i had it so that Easy CD Creator could burn 700 mb avi's without allocating harddrive space. now it requires it again, but i don't know how to disable this. does anyone know what i can do?

thanks.

6. Shin555

Shin555 Guest

500Mb on Your Hard Drive??? I'm Supprised its still running.

What you need to do is back up your movies and other large files, what i do is buy them multipacks of 700mb cd-r's where you get 60 in a box (it works out to be cheaper). and drag my movies, games, mp3's etc. on there until the disk is full then delete the original copy on your hard drive. and when you want to watch the movie, u can watch it on your pc from your cd drive so your saving loads of space, because remember three high quality movies is 1.5gb and that is a lot compared to what u have left.

You can even by PC to TV adapters where you can watch the movie on your pc on a tv with a huge screen but you need a graphics card adaptable for that.

Then you will never have the problem of worrying, can i burn this with the hard disk space i have?

By the way what is the total disk capacity of your hard drive?

7. noodz

noodz Member

thanks shin, but that doesn't solve my problem.

if i wanted to burn a 700mb avi with Nero, harddrive space (of another 700mb) wouldn't be used at all to accomplish the burning.

it used to be this way for Easy CD Creator too. but whatever i did, i don't have it this way anymore. i'd like to revert back to the previous setting but i don't know what to do.

this is all i'm asking. nothing else. :)

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

This calls for an upgrade at the least.

BTW, unless i am completely mistaken you dont need 700MB free to burn a 700MB movie.... Just make sure you burn it S L O W and if possible enable BurnProof (or whatever it's called). Once you have burned off a single file, delete it. Defraggning might not hurt either.

9. Shin555

Shin555 Guest

I aggree!!

10. noodz

noodz Member

i defragged and everything but i still have to have at least 700 mb when I burn with EASY. Nero is ok but i dont' like the stuttering playback of avis mid to the end of the movie that i get when i use Nero.

the fact is, everything was fine before. i'm asking if there's a way to get it back the way it was before. i'm not looking for compromise solutions.

if anyone can help, that'd be great. i really don't like Nero. and thanks anyway guys. i definitely appreciate it. :)

-----
    FINAL UPDATE!!

UPDATE!!

i solved the thing myself. i actually downloaded an upgrade from this webpage:

http://www.tweakers.net/meuktracker/1864

case closed.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2003