1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help burning AVI to playable dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mutable, Jan 6, 2005.

1. mutable

mutable Member

Alright, i downloaded a series of episodes (not illegal because i made them ) and converted them using Divxtodvd and got only a Video TS folder and 5 files inside of that

Video_TS.bup
    bup file
    6kb

Video_TS.ifo
    IFO file
    6 kb

Vts_01_0.BUP
    bup file
    22 kb

VTS_01_0.IFo
    Ifo file
    22 kb

VTS_01_1
    460,828 kb

So don't i need an Audio TS folder as well? And also, i have about 8 of these folders i want to put on one dvd, but obviouslly i can't have them in the same folder on the dvd and share the same name.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, i'm new here and just learning the ropes.

I am using Nero 6, and burning onto 4x Dvd+r. I have never burnt a dvd before. Can someone please tell me in detail what to do with this files as of now to get it to where i can put the dvd into a dvd player and play it?

thanks

2. mutable

mutable Member

3. yensheng

yensheng Member

u did wat i did, i have these 5 files result of convertibg 1 avi file. i use the some programme as u. i also wanna put a few episode in one dvd, but cant cause there is only 1 VIDEO_TS folder, so i wish i could get some help.

4. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Right the format for a DVD must have a AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folder and you can only have one of each.

[bold]mutable[/bold] One thing seems missing from the files you have listed and that is .VOB files as these files store all the video & audio and make up the standard structure of a DVD, with out these the DVD is incomplete.

I suggest you rencode the AVI again using the AVI to DVD-R guide on this site and use something like TMPGEnc DVD Author, DVD Lab, Etc to make your DVD.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  5. colw

colw Active member

The Audio TS folder is always empty.

You can create one e.g. AUDIO_TS but you do not add anything to it.

Not sure but think you can rename the Video_TS VOB files e.g. VTS_02_1 etc.

Probably need more advice from others on this part.

6. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

I dont think renaming the VTS files will work as each file contains information that links to another on a DVD so therefore if he changes this the DVD wont work unless he reauthors it.

Some DVD Players will play without a AUDIO_TS folder but it is good practive to have one just in case.

7. mutable

mutable Member

alright, i'm reencoding them now with TMPGEnc

edit, it says it's not a valid Video format, but i can use it to extract the audio, wtf? It is a normal AVI. Gah!

8. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Oh i thought this might happen, try using the MPEG Tools in TMPGEnc to De-Multiplex i.e seperate the video and audio streams.

If this dont work then im afraid im not sure how you can make the VTS files ready for re-encoding as i have never done it from VTS files but with VOBS the above method works.

9. fatslob

fatslob Member

does your version of nero 6 come with nerovision exp?

nero vison express will takecare of all that nonsence for you.

i just made my first dvd last night.

i think i need to make my burner the master though because someone said it needs a cotinues feed so
    the movie wont be all jumpy.

it wasn't too bad. just towards the end, \my move was jumpy.

10. mutable

mutable Member

Well now i've done everything right, got all my codecs and shit. BUt i've encountered what i'm hoping is my last problem.

This is like a brand new computer, i got it for christmas. And i've never once burned a DVD. I think my drive is messed up or doesn't have the right drivers. The dvd i have is a Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R5272 SCSi. I'm burning onto DVD+R dvd's. I think this because everytime i try to burn a DVD, Nero freezes. Now it's not Nero because i 've reinstalled it, got different versions of it, and tryed different programs to do it, they all freeze as well. I don't think the error is on the hardware end, but instead on the software end. Can anybody help me?

11. fatslob

fatslob Member

i dont think this guy listens very well

12. mutable

mutable Member

No my version doesn't come with nerovision exp. I don't even know what that is. But i don't think my dvd burner is working properly right now, perphaps i neeed a driver

13. fatslob

fatslob Member

usualy you just install the dvd drive and...blamo it works.

is your burner a dvd+r type burner

some burners only burn on dvd-r type media

i have a dual layer dvd burner that is compatible with dvd-r and +r media but i have not yet tried
    dual layer media or +r type media or rw for that mater

good luck

14. mutable

mutable Member

Well i really don't know if it reads dvd-r or dvd+r discs, i hope it reads dvd+r because i bought a 100 of them

15. colw

colw Active member

If you have an OEM version of Nero it is likely that some of the DVD Burning functions will be disabled.

You can download a fully functioning trial version from the Nero website.

16. mutable

mutable Member

Alright, i downloaded the demo of nero, the same thing happened, it keeps freezing on "Caching of files started"

17. fatslob

fatslob Member

also, not only does it need to read dvd+R
    but wright it too.

18. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Whoa! You guys are making this way too complicated.

Here's AN EASY SOLUTION, that's worked for me:

1) Use DivXTodvd (or TMPGEnc, or whatever) to get your Video TS folder. [Don't worry about not having an Audio TS folder, there's never anything in Audio TS folders anyway.]

2) Open DVDshrink, click on the 'Re-Author' button.

3) Navigate to the Video TS folder where your movie is.

4) Double-click on 'Title 1' (on the right-hand side) to add it to the DVD structure (on the left-hand side).

5) Click the 'Back-up' button.

You're done.

Note: You can also add a second movie to the same DVD by repeating steps 3 and 4 above. The second movie will be added as 'Title 1 (2)' instead of just 'Title 1'... but don't worry, DVDshrink will take care of editing all the files correctly, so that you'll wind up with two movies titles on one disc. This way you don't have to mess with IFO-edit, VOB-edit, or all those other programs to manually edit the DVD structure yourself.

Just a note of caution... if you do add two movies to the same DVD, make sure they fit! (Check under 'compression settings' in DVD shrink before you hit the 'Back up' button.) I mean, I guess you could add even three or four movies to a single DVD, and DVDshrink would compress the hell out of them... but you'd be left with really crappy quality... As it is, you've already taken a hit on quality by converting your movie from Xvid format to DVD format. So, I generally don't compress at all in DVDshrink. I just let DVDshrink reauthor the DVD file structure for me, before burning with Nero.

Of course, none of this stuff is going to work, if you're not using inappropriate media for your burner.

Having an OEM version of Nero shouldn't make a difference. That's all I have too. The non-OEM versions of Nero give you access to their re-encoding tools (that will do what DivXToDVD will do). Well, personally, DivXToDVD works fine for me as a re-encoder, and it's easy to use and free!

19. mutable

mutable Member

Well i used dvd shrink, it encoded fie but i starting the burning it frooze. My burner says this NU DDW-081 8X DVD+R/+RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. DOes that mean it can burn dvd+r?

20. mutable

mutable Member

Good news, er. kind of.

I called Cyberpower today and they said the lense must have gotten ruined during installation or shipping. I'm sending my to them and i'll have a new one in 2 weeks. :-D

Thanks for everything guys, i know i didn't get to burn a dvd, but you did teach me how to convert everything and once it comes in i will finally be able to burn these family guy avi's! (Which i have gotten explicit permission from seth mcfarlane and Fox pictures to do so ;-P)