1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help cannot delete file!!!

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by steve11, Mar 5, 2005.

1. steve11

steve11 Member

hello can anyone help me please,

i downloaded a large file from edonkey last night but seem to be having a problem with it!!

its an AVI but doesnt seem to play with REALONE player, also i have tried to delete it but i tells me its in use by another programme, also when i try to delete it my PC goes haywire and the cpu speed jumps up to 100% for ages, i have done a full system scan with Norton but there is nothing found!!

any advice would be appreciated, i just want to be rid of it now!!!!!

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you can boot in safe mode and delete it.
    but it could be the explorer is hogging it.
    bring up task manager enc end process for explorer.
    then you can do this by command line or use the new task and browse the folder and delete it.

3. steve11

steve11 Member

hello, i tried deleting it in safe mode, but unfortunately was not able to, im not sure what was up with this file but it messed my computer right up!!

i ended up doing a complete system recovery to get rid of it, lucky i had all my important stuff backed up and also got rid of a lot of junk in the process -

i did a scan with norton antivirus etc and it didnt detect anything wrong?

4. steve11

steve11 Member

i found some info on a different forum which might explain?

WinXP Tip: Clicking AVI Files on explorer causing 100% CPU Usage
    Submitted by Forcefire on 10/24/2003 4:14:03 AM
    Well windows seem to have a REALLY big problem when it comes to reading AVI files. It seems that when you click on an AVI file in explorer, it'll try to read the entire AVI file to determine the width,height, etc. of the AVI file (this is displayed in the Properties window). Now the problem with Windows is that if you have a broken/not fully downloaded AVI file that doesnt contain this info, Windows will scan the entire AVI file trying to figure out all these properties which in the process will probably cause 100% CPU usage and heavy memory usage.

To solve this problem all you have to do is the following:

1. Open up regedit
    2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
    3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Voila! Please note that this will no longer provide you with the windows properties displaying the AVI file information such as width, height, bitrate etc. But its a small price to pay for saving you resources.

NOTE: Please use caution when using regedit. Improper usage may cause windows to behave imcorrectly. Also, I cannot be held resposible. Backup your registry first.