1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Can't erase CDrw

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by fantasy, Aug 23, 2003.

1. fantasy

fantasy Guest

Hi all,

I bought a PC game, Icewind Dale II, and try to backup it with Alcohol 120.

I made a set of image files and played them with the simulator successfully, so I burned they on cdr. But the cdr can't be loaded. (the led on the cd drive just keep bright, after some time, turn dark, then light again, it seems to have difficulties to load the disc.)

But nevermind, I then used a cdrw to backup it, so I can try out the proper setting. (because I think the image files should be ok). I tried, and the result is the same as the previous cdr.

Here problem comes. I can't erase the cdrw! The led on the cd rom keep bright, windows (xp) continue trying to load the disc.

After a while, windows gives up to load it, the led turn dark. I use alcohol to erase the disc, alcohol can't detect the disc. (it shows "no disc"). I use Nero, it says the disc is "illegal" (illegal format?), ask me to insert a "cdrw".

So could you help me ....
    1. How / What software to erase the cd-rw?
    2. How to turn off the auto run in win xp?
    I have tried to set it from the place "righ click cd drive --> properties --> auto play --> no action for all format's disc, but when I insert the game disc, the disc still auto run ....

I just feel confuse .... the game manufacture shouldn't be able to destroy a hardware, a cdrw, with copy protection techs ? If so, it is just too terrible.

Any response would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edit:
    Just to add some information.
    I check the game with clony xxl 2015, with default settings, the protection type is
    unknown.
    My cd drive should be able to erase normal cdrw .... so I guess the problem is the copy protection ?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]hello everyone, nice to meet you[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2003
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Icewind Dale II, an excellent RPG with a couple minor issues i have with the rogue class grrrrrr (pickpocket got crippled compared to Baldur's Gate II and the rest of ADnD2 rules grrrr). Anyways, IWD2 has no protection whatsovever and consequently, you can even use the Nero CD Duplication process to make a backup. For simplicity sake I would reccommend CloneCD for a simple-clicky-no-brainer job.
    2. Regarding your RW issue, try burning (a data cd) and then erasing any RW disc. If you get a "fixation error" or a "power calibration error" watch out your burner could be on its way out (especially if you have a Phillips or an LG burner)
    3. Dont use windows xp's built in burning thingy its (IMO), crud. If you do however, Microsoft has a patch for the IMAPI service somewhere.
    4. Go grab the Tweak UI Tools or something like that (goto microsoft and search for tweak and grab the windowsxp one). Then install her away and under "My Computer", one of the tweaks you can set is to disable Autorun for CD/DVD drives.
    5. Check to make sure you have a correctly installed ASPI layer (dont trust the NeroInfoTools to tell you if you have a correctly installed ASPI. Use the aspichk.exe in the ASPI install packagae).

3. fantasy

fantasy Guest

Hi Praetor,

Thank you for your detail reply, I'll try it when I back home.

About the cd-rw issue, you mean I should burn a data cdr / cdrw, than go back and try to detect and erase the problematic cdrw, right? It sounds to work, thanks. I never update the ASPI driver before .... cheated by nero. :p

Really nice to meet another D&D fans here. :) I haven't played P&P before, but like the PC games and the novels.

Hope to see you around. :)

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Good God buddy you have noooooo idea how messed up on RPGs I am.... I used to hail from the realm of FPS/RTS hehe (i still play them of course) but RPGs have really clicked with me because I'm a university student and you can just have a stop-and-go game that spans the entire term or something.

1.Back to your problems though, dont trust the Nero ASPI, it uses its own ASPI layer meaning that if you look up the ASPI tab under Nero InfoTools it will show everything as being green and say "ASPI is installed and working correctly". Change the dropdown box to System ASPI . It may still say that everything is A-Ok but look closer at the version numbers. If they arent the same (all of them) then your system ASPI (the one that counts) isnt installed correctly. (ASPI: http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm)

2. What error exactly do you get when you erase a CDRW... or does it appear to erase correctly but doesnt? If that is the case (and especially if you have an LG burner)... your burner may be on its death bed.

PM me if you ever want to play or something!