1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, can't get my converted AVI movie to play in my home DVD player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maashoff, Feb 2, 2005.

1. maashoff

maashoff Member

Please help. I am fairly savvy but new to DVD burning.. So I have a few AVI movies I want to ultimately burn onto a DVD and play on my home TV system. I used DVD Santa and (I think) successfully converted my AVI to DVD (it created .VOB's etc..) I can certainly recognize and play the new files using Power DVD on my computer. Then I used EZ DVD Creator 6 (drag & drop- probably my mistake) and burned the files onto a DVD. Again I can access and see the "DVD" movie from the disk on my computer... of course when I put it into my home DVD it spins for a while then stops and ejects? Is there some type of lead file I need to prompt my DVD player to play the movie... it seems to me it’s just a bunch of files on a disk? Seems like my DVD needs a recognizable "auto play" file or something for it to recognize that this is actually a DVD movie? Anyway please help!

2. philipman

philipman Regular member

I would use nero to burn the dvd files and nerovision to convert them thats how I do it, It is just drag and drop.

3. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

you can use nero burning rom to burn the dvd files to a dvd that will play in your settop dvd player

4. maashoff

maashoff Member

Thanks for the messages.

So let me understand.. If I use Nero not EZ DVD I can just burn the .VOB files etc.. onto a DVD and it will work?

Any reason why EZ DVD can't do the same thing? Isn't that the entire purpose of the program?

The only reason I ask is 2 fold A) I have already invested in EZ DVD and B) I'm concerned that it has something to do with the files or my process to convert the AVI to DVD, not the program?

I don't want to buy Nero and waste more Disks to find out that I don't have the correct settings, or I'm missing some files, or my DVD player is the problem?

I guess what I am really looking for is someone to validate my process and/or walk me through the process of taking an AVI file on my hard drive to burning it onto my DVD.

As mentioned I currently have a demo version of DVD Santa and a full version of EZ DVD Creator 6. I successfully (I think- at least it created .VOB and the other files that I can pick a .VOB and play with Power DVD on my computer) converted the AVI to DVD using DVD Santa. Then I used drag-and-drop method, via EZ DVD 6 , to burn the DVD onto a blank DVD-R. When I place it into my home DVD player it spins for a few seconds then ejects. Seems to me the DVD player isn’t recognizing this as a legit DVD?

Thanks in advance!

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

if you have vobs/ifos/bups then you are good to go, just place in a folder called VIDEO_TS and burn with nero! dvd settings of course...

or use dvd shrink FREE to load files to check them! compress if needed and set it to use dvd decrytor FREE to burn!

6. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

you can download trial versions at www.nero.com

7. maashoff

maashoff Member

Rhino,

Thanks.. I'll have to check but I am sure I have all the vobs/ifos/bups. It sounds like my problem is that I didn't place these filse into a folder called Video_TS? Perhaps this is the organization that an DVD player needs to recognize.. ha this is a DVD and now play the file within? What I did was just copy all the files individually and burn them onto the DVD? Can you validate again that I must place the files into a folder called Vidoe_TS then drag the entire folder into Nero. Seems to me if I do that it will think I am just copying data files for backup?

Is there anyone out there who is a EZ DVD 6 expert? Will this process work with that program. .I.e. create a folder then move it into drag and drop? it claims it will format as necessary?

Thanks again

8. maashoff

maashoff Member

oops sorry my message was for Rotary not Rhino

Thaks!

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

no probs matey...

in capitals!!!

VIDEO_TS

and not any other spelling!!!! if useing nero it may do the folder for you? just check it!

nero useing DVD-Video will make folders! place your files in there!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  10. maashoff

maashoff Member

Rotary you rule! Thanks Ill give it a shot!

11. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

if you use nero burning rom you shouldnt need the folder because to burn you have to open the VIDEO_TS folder and the drag the contents out to burn, you dont actually choose the folder you choose the contents inside the folder.

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

sort of right...

i use the bottom tag DVD ROM (UDF/ISO) as this does not make the folder VIDEO_TS and also gives more menu for xbox capable (if needed?) it sets udf at v1.02 for older stand alones players...

but DVD-Video is kool....

13. maashoff

maashoff Member

Rhino,

But it sounds like after nero burns the dvd the contents will be in a folder called VIDEO_TS? Meaning even though nero just has me select the files in the folder on my drive it still creats a folder automatically calld VIDEO_TS to house the contents (i.e. if I explor the disk after it will have one master folder called VIDEO_TS with the .VOB..etc contents within after the burn. It seems like Rotary is saying that having the files housed in a folder called VIDEO_TS is the key so that my home DVD player can recongnize that this is a Video and begin play? I'm thinking it is an order of operations thing.. the DVD player must see the correct folder name to reconginze then it will open and read the correct lead/launch/(perhaps menu?) file I thin a ..._TS file in the folder to start the move and direct the "Video Traffic".. is this not roughly the way it works?

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

just look at any original dvd!

it will have 2 folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS

place files in video ts

aslong as your files are good then its 99% going to work!

15. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

nero creates the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders so the dvd player will see the movie. when burning you never choose the AUDIO_TS folder but after burning the new movie it will have an AUDIO_TS folder even though you never choose to copy that specific folder

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  16. maashoff

maashoff Member

Bad news!

It didn't work.. perhaps I should have listend to you all in the first place and used Nero. Also, I am wondering if it could be my DVD player. It is a few years old?

This sucks!

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi try this its for compatibilty mode for older players!

use top one first!

also what disc are you useing? + or - format?

[​IMG]

you will need to make a folder called VIDEO_TS this way!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

do yourself a favour and start over with the avi

use this app to get mpeg2! then use tmpgenc dvd author to get vob/ifo/bups and burn with same app!

[​IMG]

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

the last disc you did that didnt work in your standalone player ! did it run on your pc with powerdvd (autoload by itself?)

20. maashoff

maashoff Member

rotary

I downloaded the tmpg program... only I'm not sure what options to slect?

Video type- Interlace or Non-Interlace?

Aspect ratio- ??? 4:3 625 Line(PAL 704 x 576)was the default loaded?