1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Computer shuts down half way through back-up

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by CheeseB, Jun 14, 2007.

1. CheeseB

CheeseB Member

Hi. I'm new to these forums, but I've been using DVD Shrink for a while. I've had the common problems, but it was never a big deal. However, now my computer shuts off every time I try to back up a DVD!

I recently did a complete re-install of Windows XP. After that, I backed up a couple of movies fine, but when I tried to back up Breach, Ghost Rider, and The Last Sin Eater, each time my computer would just shut off during the back-up process. Any ideas/suggestions?

I use a laptop w/ cooling pad. Like I said, there were no problems before. I've tried each DVD several times, and each time it was the same result. Thanks for your help.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try a movie you have completed before. I have to assume you know that Shrink cannot handle newer movies with ARCOSS, Ripguard or other more advanced copy protections. You will normally get some sort of an error message when Shrink runs into these though. You didn't mention any.

I'd probably download a program like CoreTemp and see how hot the processor is actually getting.
    Freezing, locking up and/or uncommanded reboots are symptoms of an overheated CPU or other component. Dust accumulation in the CPU heatsink/fan is a likely culprit.

Make sure your other PC maintenance is completed. Disc defrag, virus scan etc. Run the CCleaner tool and check for issues and clean your cookies out as well. You may want to check your hard drive's health as well.