1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Computer won't boot. Long Beep.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wolfkin, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Wolfkin

Wolfkin Member

one of the problems I've had since before my computer actually died was I couldn't repair using the windows disc. Thanks to your help taking out the bad ram stick appears to have solved that problem. Now my bootable windows CD actually boots.

However in attempting to repair my OS Install it's asking for an admin password. I only have two users both admins leftover from when it belonged to my cousin's boyfriend. I've renamed the users and I'm pretty sure they didn't have passwords before although one does now. I've tried both passwords (last years and this years) but nothing worked. My question: Is there a way to obtain the passwords the disc is asking for.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  2. lyminster

lyminster Regular member

your on the right path, sounds like the memory has packed up!

3. Wolfkin

Wolfkin Member

well thanks. if it is the memory. I'll just need to figure out what kind I need and get a new pair. I think there were 2x256MB sticks in there would they both be dead? or do you think it's possible it was just one?

4. lyminster

lyminster Regular member

try the two sticks one at a time. if one works then you know its the other stick. also try them in different slots incase a slot has blown.

5. Wolfkin

Wolfkin Member

good idea. supposing that it still doesn't work is there any way to test the ram independant of the system to make sure they're dead. I got RadioShack to test my monitor when I was having problem with it. I'll probably go to Microcenter to pick up the RAM but could/should I carry the old ones to double check, or not bother.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

RAM is so cheap these days, you may as well make an upgrade of it. It does indeed sound like a RAM problem. If with new RAM the problem doesn't go away, get back to us.

7. Wolfkin

Wolfkin Member

thank you for the help guys. I took out one stick and the computer boots up again. I'm back at problem 2 but now I'm assuming that it's because I only have 256MB of RAM. I don't know the exact req of WinXP but I'll get a new stick and hopefully that will solve 90% of my problems. If I can find a bootable WinXP to repair my install afterwards I'll be set.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, WinXP will run on 128MB fine, albeit slowly. You've not hit the cause of your problem yet.

9. Wolfkin

Wolfkin Member

new question

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's fair enough, but I can't really answer it if you don't tell me what it is! :)

11. Wolfkin

Wolfkin Member

well i updated the 1st post...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007