1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help configuring NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE video card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by iPodHelp, Dec 6, 2014.

1. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

Hello all, happy holidays, I'm here because I need help configuring my NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 video card so I can view it on my Panasonic Viera 50" Class 1080p LED HDTV.

I can currently connect my eMachine EL1352G running windows vista home premium to my HDTV via VGA-to-HDMI cable. And the TV says it detects HDMI cable when it's on input 1 which is where my cable being ran from the PC to TV is connected. But no picture is displayed.

So I assume I have to configure the video card using the PC monitor first before I can plug it into the TV? But not sure how. Can anyone help me with this setup? Help will be much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

P.S. After I go into the NVIDIA control panel and click on my display is not shown in the list of monitors, I click the rigorous display detection and then it says no other display found if your positive that it's connected click yes and forced tv detection will be checked. So I click yes and then I see forced TV detection is on and so then I restart my computer from stat menu, because if I click ok out of that menu and click back into the I don't see my display option that force tv detection gets unticked somehow. And then when it restarts and I plug my monitor back in to see what I'm doing it shows Panasonic-TV as the only monitor. But nothing is shown on the TV still. (This is all being done with my other connection setup which is a VGA-to-DVI adapter, connected to a DVI-to-HDMI cable.) I can try doing this with my VGA to HDMI cable as soon as I'm back from work. Thanks again for any help.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

Any feed is appeciated thanks.

3. attar

attar Senior member

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have to configure the tv to pc & if want dual nonitor mode, will have to do that in windows. I presume the tv does not have a vga connector?

5. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

ddp you are correct. No VGA connector like my old tv. It was so simple just plug and play, but I've did trial and error to get this far. And no I'm close but something is still not right.

6. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

Thank you ddp and attar for the feed.

7. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

ddp I don't want to dual monitor because that would require me to buy a cable with 2 of some kind of connection. I don't have the money and I'm sure one of these connections will work. Either my VGA-to-HDMI, or VGA-to-DVI-to-HDMI. The later recognizes that a Panasonic-Tv is connect just no picture. This Viera Panasonic is like a generic made menu, no much options or hardly any of the bells and whistles.

8. ddp

if the VGA-to-DVI-to-HDMI cable recognizes the tv then it is a setting issue most likely with the tv. what does the user manual for the tv say on connecting to pc?

9. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

Ya I looked up in the manual to see what it would say and it doesn't say much at all. It just says it can be hooked up, but no options in the menu to actually flip it over to pc mode. Like I said it's a very generic menu. It just has where you can change picture, sound and lock it. Other than that it doesn't have a whole lot of options. It's not a detailed menu like my dad's smart tv, or my old Hewlett Packard

10. ddp

does the manual have a 1-800 number so you can talk to Panasonic on how to set the tv up for pc use? I have setup a tv for both dual monitor & single monitor modes for a customer but his tv menu had the pc option in it.

iPodHelp likes this.
  11. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

The Panasonic TV is this. Panasonic Viera Model No. TC-50A400U, there's a manual online for it. You can look for yourself and see how generic the menu is. If the video card recognizes it when I have it plugged into the tv and it forces the tv detection, I'm thinking the issue is still in the video card, but no way of working on it when it's connected to tv and not the monitor.

12. ddp

13. omendata

omendata Regular member

The tv will recognise a video signal but it may just be reading the hdmi sync signal it doesnt mean it is actually recognising any of the input from the computer.

You first need to test the hdmi cable you have first to make sure it is working properly as these hdmi vga adaptors especially if you bought it from China are useless - I know i bought one stupid me!!!

You ideally need a graphics card that has either dvi or preferably an Hdmi output.
    A dvi / hdmi adaptor is fine but i see no point in a vga to hdmi adaptor.

Trying to get vga dpin output to an hdmi input is always going to give you headaches , its not digital , its not designed for it and the proliferation of useless vga to hdmi adaptors shows this.

If the hdmi vga adaptor doesnt work the tv will not be recognised by the pc - you can check this by going into control panel , system setttings device manager - if its not listed under monitors or unknown devices then you are outta luck.

Upgrade the video card it will save you time , hassle and you will get a quality display - trying to watch vga on an hdtv tv is a bit like buying a ferrari and taking the engine out and pulling it with donkeys.

14. iPodHelp

iPodHelp Member

Thank you all for the help especially you omendata. The Ferrari and donkey engine joke was funny. I needed that because I'm at wits end with trying to get this to work. Can you look up my eMachines model and tell me what graphics card will fit in it. It's a slimline emachines not a big one like the first models they came out with. Even if it don't fit and it hangs out the side with the side panel off and I have to cut my own hole in the casing to plug a HDMI cable in that's fine. I just need a recommendation on a video card for a PCI slot that has HDMI and it's cheap 50-60$. Thanks for the feed all of you

15. ddp

the radeon hd6450 has all 3 ports like vga, dvi & hdmi plus can be configured as a slim card as I have 2 of them in 2 different computers.

16. omendata

omendata Regular member

Haha perfect response ipodhelp you are quite good with the old bribery and corruption by flattery.
    haha

Wish I had seen this post earlier as i was selling a load of ATI 3450 512mb pci cards for £15 each. I was using one of them for ages in an old AMD 64 3000 and hdmi was fine no jittering but it did use about 80% cpu so you may find some disadvantages with a Sempron processor.

You dont need anything over the top but ATI are without doubt the best for Home Televisuals whereas Nvidia beat it to the games sector.

The ATI Radeon 3450 slimline cards i was selling are easily obtainable on ebay , they are also passive so dont have a noisy fan which is another essential for a media machine, they dont suck a load of voltage either which is what you must watch with computers with low watt power supplies OR YOU COULD END UP RUINING YOUR PC.

Putting in a gfx card with too much power requirements will either end you with a non booting pc , black screen or at worst a blown PSU + motherboard , cpu and memory at worst case scenario.

Your current card is integrated so wont use as much leccie as a pci-e card.
    As far as I can see the power supply in your pc may be 250watts which is very low however efficient it might be so check your gfx card draw before you purchase it. Radeon 5450 should do or a 3450 , you might get away with a 6450 but i dont think you can get a 6450 fanless design and i dont think it has a pci variant.

Be safe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-Radeo...raphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item1c3c37e381

17. ddp

18. omendata

omendata Regular member

Sure ddp i wasnt criticsing your post just suggesting that it may put strain on the poor psu in these emachines systems - the wattage goes from 220-300 for a new psu on ebay - have no idea what his might be but its worth being safe as I have had one packard bell machine and more recently a Fujitsu Esprimo go pop when a decent gfx card was installed thats why I always check the psu first - load test it when its runnning at 100% tilt and see what the psu is actually performing at - with a customers machine there there is no room for error or it gets costly.

Why are you focussing on a pci option ipod - a pci-e x 16 will be much more suitable for hdmi speedwise - pci bus is very slow by comparison.

Sadly the only machines with properly thought out future proofed builds are those by enthusiast stores and high end builders but people like a nice cheap bargain pc - its what they want to do with it later and its upgradeability that they dont think about and it can make the pc cost twice in labour , fiddling and experimenting to get what they really wanted in the first place.

19. ddp

I sure agree on your last statement as I always go for clone desktops over namebrands because of upgradeability.

omendata likes this.