1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Convert Portrait to Landscape Playback

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Redgun71, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Redgun71

Redgun71 Member

Please could you help...

I recorded some video (mp4)on my phone but did not know I should always "film" holding the phone in landscape rather than portrait.

There is no problem playing back the bit filmed in portrait on my phone as I can "turn it" but when playing back on a TV the portrait bit is rotated left/horizontal and not vertical.

I never edited any video before and do not know if you can rotate video like a photo, is there any simple editing software out there that can rotate video?

Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try AviDemux.
    Load the file.
    Set the options on the left of the screen.
    Click Video Filters and opt to rotate the video.
    Save.
    [​IMG]

3. Redgun71

Redgun71 Member

Thank you I will give it a go and let you know of the results.

4. Redgun71

Redgun71 Member

I've downloaded AviDemux, I've managed to rotate the film but it rotates all of the film. The audio doesn't seem to work (maybe wrong setting)and I can't seem to edit or save.

There are no instructions/content of this wiki link.
    http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:quickstart

I'm looking to edit about 7 film clips, put them on a DVD for someone else to watch.

5. attar

attar Senior member

If it's a section that is included in a regular clip, the part before the clip, the rotated clip and the part after must be saved separately and processed before joining them up again.
    The portrait bit has to be rotated, resized and black bars added to make it the same resolution as the rest.

Find out exactly what format the audio and video are by using the likes of MediaInfo before processing - but note that if the audio is set to 'copy' in the left screen menu, it should not have been affected when the video was saved.

[​IMG]

6. attar

attar Senior member

Here's a small clip where the camera was rotated from landscape to portrat and back.
    The transition points could probably use a fade filter, but I'm not that committed.
    The steps I used are included.
    For better results, it probably requires better sofware and more skill - lets me out on both counts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o3a53mj25wfqcas

7. Redgun71

Redgun71 Member

The link takes me to a mediafire page to download compression (zipped) software and now AVIDemux will not open.

Thanks for the help but without instructions or a guide from AVIDemux I won't be able to edit the film clips and I don't know what other software I can use.

8. attar

attar Senior member

It isn't software, it's two short video clips and a text file that have been zipped - the download has to be unzipped.

9. Redgun71

Redgun71 Member

I downloaded the zipped file, 2 videos and a txt file.
    Although I think I understand the text and your previous instructions, the film rotates in the filter/preview screen but when I go into the main screen there is no change. Also I leave the audio on "copy" and the sound that gets played back sounds like the film is being fast forward.

Thank you for your help but it's looking like I either need someone to do this for me or need easier to use editing software.

10. attar

attar Senior member

11. Redgun71

Redgun71 Member

I will try them out, thanks again.