1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help converting avi and divX to dvd-r

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mgullen, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mgullen

mgullen Member

I have used a suggested procedure for converting avi and divx files to dvd. It worked great. The problem is it only worked once. For my own use I have been using a peer to peer sit to download movies. I would like to convert those to a format that would enable me to watch on a dvd player. I have been using tmpgenc and dvd author. It worked for the first one, but none since. Any ideas.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

It might help if you Told us "WHY" You are haveing problems with Tmpgenc??? Like any error messages or anything that would help us figure out what your problem is....

You can also try something like "VSO DivXtoDVD" which is Super easy and Fast but is very Limmited and the Quality isn"t as good as useing Tmpgenc....

3. mgullen

mgullen Member

I actually don't know what happened. I used the same process for one and it worked. I haven't been able to duplicate it since. I'll get all the way to end end were DVD Author asks you if you need to open the writting tools or save it. I open the burning tool from DVD Author and it tells me that file is too big for the DVD+R. Would lowering the bitrate help. After author is done downloading the mv2 file it show on the bar at the bottom that it should fit, but when I go to burn it the other bar shows it at just under the 7 or 8gb. Please forgive me, I'm trying to translate this all into words.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

If the Problem is that Tmpgenc DVD Author says that the Files are too Big then Yes Lowering the Bitrate would Fix your Problem...Also if you select "mpeg-1 layer 2" as your Audio format it will give you a Lot more space for the Video Because "LPCM/Wav" audio takes up way too much space....

Cheers

5. mgullen

mgullen Member

Do I use the CBR or VBR as far as mpeg-1 layer 2 goes? I tried to lower the bitrate but still isn't helping. COuld it be that I'm using the writing tools from DVD Author and should use another program such as Nero or DVD Santa? The movie goes from p2p shared files, to my documents, tmpgenc, dvd author and then the problem occurs. I'll start with 650 MB movie and end up with a file too large to burn. Doesn't make sense. Does it matter if its a movie or video file? I've worked on this for hours everyday without any results. Have you heard of Roxio? My buddy told me that with this program I could go straight from the original movie from the p2p and burn it.