1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Custom Build System Problem w/ XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Kimarra, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Kimarra

Kimarra Member

Ok, I decided to custom build a system as opposed to purchasing a new one from a store. Here are the specs:

GIGABYTE GA-945GZM-S2 Core 2 Duo/ 945GZ/ DDR2/ A&V&GbE/ MATX Motherboard
    # GA-945GZM-S2
    # CPU: Socket 775 support Intel Core 2 Extreme/ Core 2 Duo/ Pentium D/ Pentium 4/Celeron D processors;
    FSB 1066 (Overclock)/800/533 MHz
    # Chipset: Intel 945GZ Express & ICH7
    # Memory: 2x 240pin DDR2-533/400 DIMMs, Dual Channel, Max Capacity 2GB
    # Slots: 1x PCI-Express x16 Slot (Run on x4); 3x PCI Slots
    # IDE/SATA: 1x ATA-100 Channel, 4x SATA2 Ports
    # Audio: Realtek ALC888 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    # Video: Integrated Intel GMA950 Graphics Controller
    # LAN: Marvell 8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    # Ports: 8x USB 2.0 Ports (4 rear, 4 by headers); 2x PS/2 Ports; 1x Serial Port; 1x Parallel Port;
    1x VGA Port; 1x RJ-45 LAN Port; Audio I/O Jack
    # Power Connector: 1x 24pin Main Power, 1x 4pin 12V CPU Power
    # Form Factor: Micro ATX, 22 x 24.4 cm

SONY 20X DVD+/-RW DUAL LAYER BURNER

Seagate Barracuda ST3160815AS ~ SATA ~ 300 (3 Gb/s) SATA ~ 2 / SATA ~ II Hard Drive

The operating system I'm trying to load is XP Pro. This a clean install, with the hard drive never having had an OS before. The drive will format, reboot, and when it tries to install XP, I get an error message that reads:

Error:
    SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\52\MSFT\Windows\NET\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.MAN" on line 5.
    Error:
    Installation failed: D\I386\asms. Error Message: The Data is invalid.
    Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. The data is invalid.

I click OK and the system reboots and continues this cycle. I have to 2 different XP cd's and they both give the same error message. I've tried using my Linux and it will freeze up. I've tried using a different RAM stick, a different hard drive, a different optical drive and still I get the same message. Using the original equipment that I intended the computer to have, I disabled all peripherals and still I get that message.
    Does anyone know how to fix this or get around it? I wanted to use XP instead of Vista, but should I use Vista since this motherboard was built to run it?

2. sparksman

sparksman Member

How old is your XP disc. If it is fairly old then you need to get your hands on a newer version, that already has SP2 on it. It may not be able to recognize your SATA drive. I had the same problem when I built my comp, and my XP disc was too old. I recommend staying with XP, I have heard quite a bit of bad things regarding Vista, but that is just my opinion. Just because your board supports vista doesn't mean you should use it.

3. Kimarra

Kimarra Member

Both of my XP disks have SP2 on them. I've also used them on other systems before and never had a problem. With both disks I'm getting the same exact error messages, so I don't believe the problem to be a scratch or dirty disk.