1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!! disc read error

Discussion in 'PS2' started by fallback, Feb 8, 2003.

1. fallback

fallback Member

I was playing a backup of vice city and it said "error reding disc"..it froze and i turned it off...

now my ps2 won't read any thing besides gs2...it says "disc read error"(neither original nor vackups)

Even when i load gs2 it onlt wilload to the main screen after that is won't load any games.

Can someone plese help me?!?!

It might have sumthig to do wit the laser...so how do i fix that?

Thanx to anyone who know about this....cuz right now my ps2 is useless.

2. iats2001

iats2001 Member

Clean your laser

Last edited: Feb 10, 2003
  3. fallback

fallback Member

how do i do that..it was working in vice city but in the middled it stopped...also it reads the gs2..but not for loading games

4. fallback

fallback Member

i tried that but it still won't read originals or backups

5. fallback

fallback Member

can sum1 please help?????

6. jr_

jr_ Guest

What Mod chip?
    Are you saying it won't read anything or just Vice City original and backup.

7. remy888

remy888 Member

I have the same problem too. It just started now after watching the intro cut scene from an original Superman Shadow of the Apokolips. It just froze the disc error. I tried all my other games back ups and originals and it won't read anything. I have a SPCH 30001R version 4 no gap and I just had the Magic chip 3.1 installed yesterday. Everything was working earlier. I did not buy one of those clips. Mine is soldered in so it should not of come lose like I hear those clips do. Some one pls help :(

8. jr_

jr_ Guest

The first thing I would check is the ground connection. If this comes loose the symptoms are as you describe. Won't read anything!

The ground connection requires more heat and it is easy to get a cold joint or no joint here. You are soldering to a ground plane with hopefully a larger wire. A 15 watt or 12 watt Iron is really challanged here.

If that's ok then check all the other wires.
    If you are sure they are ok. Remove the mod and see if you still have a PS2

Let us know about your progress.

9. remy888

remy888 Member

I started to test other disks and the odd thing is it still plays back ups of PSONE games both original and back ups. It seems like the only thing it can't read and that gets a disk error are any DVD movies, DVD originals and DVD back ups. I've searched around and I've even seen sites that talk about the PS2's DVD reading ability failing as well. I don't believe it's my chip everything was fine till yesterday and that stupid rental of Superman. Did notice though that that the drive was kinda noisey when reading disks. I will take it apart just to check if any wires lose and maybe have someone clean the laser. My machine is a SCPH 30001R V4 No Gap with recent Magic Chip 3.1. If anybody had similar experiences with this set plz reply and let us know how U fixed it pls. Thanks for the help in advance.

10. jr_

jr_ Guest

You can clean the laser lens that's easy. Just remove the top of the dvd and use a dry Qtip.
    There are several more detailed post on cleaning you can search for.
    The noise is the assembly trying to read the disk.

11. bmwking85

bmwking85 Guest

Hey my system does the same thing it plays ps1 discs only...It doesn't play dvd movies nor any ps2 games...but i have a v4 ps2 and a no-solder modchip.

12. remy888

remy888 Member

I've been reading around and this problem has me speculating that it could be a number of things. Some say that particular games of the same software developer causes this as found in this forum. Could just be a defect of the version 4's that people seem to have that have complained about it. I thought about the lens being dirty but how could it just get dirty buy one rental game? Wouldn't the system at least work part of the time before being to dirty to work properly. Also wondering about lens alignement. I can't imagine how a modchip that does not move effect a dvd/cd drive. Unless it was not put back together right and was at the verge of failing because of that, but the laser lens was never disassembled in the first place as well. Arrrrgghhhh! getting frustrated. Can't play any good games or new ones since all the new and good ones R on DVD. Help :(

13. jr_

jr_ Guest

Well yes it could have a piece of dust on it and yes one disk could be the culprit. I have no idea if this is the case but it does happen. I wouldn't rule it out. If your going to take it apart it's no problem to just remove the 4 screws on the drive and clean it.
    Your just going to have to start eliminating possiblilities. If that fails I would just completely remove the mod and see if it works.

14. fallback

fallback Member

That's my problem it plays ps1 games fine but no dvd movies and no ps2 game originals and ps2 backups. I also have a version 4.

If anyone has fixed this...please help us

15. Whoami

Whoami Guest

It looks like your ps2 laser is faulty!

Check out this site:
    http://www.playstationchips.co.uk/system/index.html

Under the section "Laser eye replacement"

This is a fairly common repair and generally has to be performed when a PS2 has stopped playing DVDs. Your PS2 may have gradually decided not to play them or may have suddenly stopped (often due to being kicked or dropped). Sometimes the problem becomes so severe that your PS2 will not play anything, even CD based games (although when this is the case it isn't necessarily just the laser eye thats gone and it might not even be the laser eye).

I also have the same problem with my PS2. I will not be sending my PS2 away for repair, but instead will order the laser unit and replace it myself. I will let you lot know the out result when I have installed and tested the PS2 console.