1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...Divide AVI file to fit DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jellyjams, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jellyjams

jellyjams Member

I have captured a VHS tape to an AVI file using Studio 9 with good results. The problem is the AVI file is 166 minutes in length. I want to divide this file into 3 files, while maintaining the best quality possible, to 3 DVDs. Studio 9 "helps" just haven't explained a proceedure that I understand or feel comfortable doing. The only solution I've come up with is to load the full AVI file, then delete 2/3's of it. Then "authorize" that portion and burn to DVD. Then do the same thing twice again. I'm hoping there is a better or easier way to accomplish the same end in Studio 9. I would like to stay with Studio 9 to do this if possible. Can anyone help me with a solution? Thanks for your ideas.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You should Have absolutely No problem fitting 166 Minutes on a DVD ...That is if you use a Real Mpeg encoder and Not the Crap one that is Built into Studio 9....

What you should do if you want a Good Quality movie and all on one DVD is First Get a High Quality encoder Like Canopus Procoder or CCE or Tmpgenc or the MainConcept encoder and Load your AVI File into it and select "Mpeg1 Layer 2" as the audio format at 192kbs and set the average Video Bitrate to 3500kbs and the Max to 8000kbs and a Minimum to 2500kbs and then encode the File to Mpeg2...
    Then Load the Mpeg2 file into your DVD authoring program and add your Menu"s and Chapters and Burn the DVD...I suggest useing something like "DVDLab" as it is very easy to use but can Make very complex DVD"s with great Munu features....

I have gotten up to 3.5 hours of DVD quality video on a DVD-R when useing a High Quality encoder (I put Return of The King on a Single DVD with Awesome Quality) were you can only get about half that on a Disk when useing a Crappy encoder because a Crappy encoder has to use a Much Higher Bitrate to achive the same quality as a High Quality encoder can Produce with Half the Bitrate...

Studio 9 is an OK program for a Consumer level Program but it"s Mpeg encodeing is Probably it"s worse Flaw....

There are also other DVD standards that you can use to get more Video per disk, even up to 6 to 8 hours of VCD Quality video on a Single DVD when useing the SIF/CIF DVD Format or about 4 Hours of SVCD Quality Video per DVD when useing the Half D1 Standard....

If you want me to explain how to use these other DVD Standards Just let me know....

If you still want to Cut your AVI file into parts then you can do it simply enough useing "Virtual-Dub" which you can download Here:

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

#1) Load your AVI file into Virtual-Dub...

#2)Go to "Video" and set it to "Direct stream Copy"..

#3) Go to "Audio" and set it to "Direct stream Copy"..

#4)Use the Slider under the Preview screen and the "Mark In" and "Mark Out" buttons to select the Video you want in the First file....There will be a Blue line under the Part of the Video you are going to save in the File....

#5) Once you have the Part you want in the First file selected go to "File" to "Save AVI" and give the File a Name and save it...

#6) in a Few minutes the File will be saved and with no quality loss...

#7) Repeat step #4 and #5 to save the Second and Third Parts....

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  3. jellyjams

jellyjams Member

Thanks much for the info. I'm going to try your suggestions. I'm looking at the "guides, instructions and help files". If I run into any stone walls, I'll take you up on your offer of further help.

4. TeeJayDM

TeeJayDM Member

Hi, Will that work for 3 hours of MiniDV?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes that would work accept you would have to set the average Bitrate down to about 3175kbs....Cheers

6. TeeJayDM

TeeJayDM Member

I tried doing that and saw some artifacts at the bottom part of the video. Any fix to this? Right now Im trying the KDVD thing, Im not sure if it will help, any feedbacks though?

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have Tried KDVD Templates before and Noticed a lot of Macro Blocks....

You know there are other DVD Formats that allow you to get More Video on a DVD...You get more Video on a DVD because these other DVD Formats use Different resolutions than the Standard DVD format used in Retail DVD"s....

You can use "352+480(Half D1)" and "352+240(SIF/CIF)"
    When useing the "Half D1" format you can get about 4 to 5 Hours of SVCD Quality Video on a DVD and when useing the SIF/CIF Format you can get 6 to 8 hours of VCD Quality Video on a DVD....

Useing a Bitrate of 3000KBS with the 352+480 resolution will Produce better quality than useing a Bitrate of 4000KBS at 720+480...
    You can also Put VCD files and SVCD Files on DVD without re-encodeing them....

Cheers