1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Drive not reading media!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by corsican, Feb 23, 2005.

1. corsican

corsican Member

Hello everyone,
    Not too sure where this post belongs, but perhaps you expereinced people may be able to help. Cheers
    My DVD +/- drive is not behaving at all and it is making me go mad! When I put a CD/DVD (anything) in the drive the little green light goes on for two minutes and then stops...but then when I try to open the drive by clicking on the icon it tells me to insert a cd..even when one already is in. This is a problem that has progressed from being an occasional occurence to being a total everytime thing. My PC is only 4 months old.
    I have tried uninstalling the driver and installing it again (win XP) but the same problem. The diagnostic tool tells me that it should be working...but it isn't. I have spent hours on forums trying to find some help but to no avail....please help me. Cheers, Phil

2. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

Please do not double post, even if you don't know where its supposed to go. take a guess, post it once - if it is out of place it will get moved most likely.

double posting can get you booted from the forum.

3. corsican

corsican Member

Very sorry about that. I won't do it again. Thanks for the warning. Phil

4. mle56

mle56 Member

Corsican,

Had the same problem with my dvd drives. I went into device manager and uninstalled my secondary IDE controller which both of my burners are on. When you reboot, the Win XP reinstalls the drivers for it and should fix the problem. Let me know if it helps
    mle56

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Incase you don't know how to do what mle56 has suggested go to my website(in my sig) and use the guide that says changing to DMA mode (halfway down the page) Near the bottom of that guide it shows you how to uninstall those devices..

6. mle56

mle56 Member

bbmayo,

That is a great website you have and very informative. I hope all of you out there visit his sight for information for burning dvd's. It is very well done. Thank you for a great asset to the forums.

mle56

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No Problem :)

8. corsican

corsican Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the tip. I did that and it did make some difference but there are still problems. Now, the drive can read authentic DVDs, copied DVDs, blank DVD re-writes, authentic music CDs and data CDs. It cannot, however, read copied audio CDs or blank CDs...despite the fact that it could read the same disks previously.
    I have tried a lense cleaner kit but that did not work....how confusing. What on earth could the problem be?
    Thanks, Phil