1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - DVD Backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pluey, Dec 29, 2003.

1. pluey

pluey Member

I'm new to the DVD backup stuff and using a Pioneer 106 burner I've just followed the backup guide listed in these forums to backup movie from DVD-9 to DVD-5.

I've used the DVD Shrink software and everything seemed to go OK. I then burned with Nero 6.

I had to remove some extras & audio, subtitles using Shrink in order to fit onto DVD-5.

The problem is when I play in my standalone DVD player although everything is there, as soon as disc is entered it plays movie part of the way through. I need to press MENU on remote for it to go to Menu screen.

Why does it not default to the menu screen itself?

Is it something I've done with Shrink or Nero???

Please help..thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

When you use DVDShrink Re-author feature, the menu is pretty much useless. When you were dragging stuff into the re-author window did you notice how the structure of the DVD changed?
    I would be suprised if the on-screen menu worked at all.
    Using Shrink on a smaller DVD-9, I like to not re-author. I will select the movie menu> select ratio> reduce as much as possible with the on-screen slider. Select extras> select ratio> reduce the extras as much as possible. Then I remove sub-pictures and all but one of the audio tracks> backup!
    If its a larger DVD-9, I'll select re-author> select main title only> remove features as before> backup!
    If I can get the movie to around 70% compression with the first option, thats what I'll use, If its below 65% I'll use the later method or a different program.
    These are some pretty good guides:
    http://dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Good Luck,
    Frank

3. pluey

pluey Member

Thanks for reply.

I am not re-authoring, but backing up after compressing using ratio slider bar to fit onto DVD-R.