1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help!!! dvd-r having problems during playback

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kovatch, Nov 14, 2004.

1. kovatch

kovatch Member

just got a lite-on dvd burner. been copying dvds to hard drive using dvd shrink, then burning on dvd-r using nero 6.0. it seems that no problems are occuring during the burning process, but when played back on my stand alone (new) dvd player, the discs are skipping/freezing a lot!!! the only discs that i have gotten to work are philips dvd-r. i know that some media isn't as compatible as others, can you suggest any brands... or could this possibly be due to another problem. i do have aspi installed on my computer, and have read that this could be a possible problem as well. any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. sooooo frustrated. thanks.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi kovitch, welcome to aD,

- I looked up Phillips for you and it's manfactured by Ricoh which is an excellent Company so you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Did you check your ASPI to make sure it's still working ?

What did your ASPI checker say ?

A few more things come to mind. - When's the last time you Defragmanted your HD ?

Do you have current drivers on your drives ?

Go into DVD Shrink, edit, preferences, Target size, change to "Custom" and set size to 4300MB. then click, OK -

Make sure your Firmware is up-to-date and then try again to burn a disc and see how it plays -

report your findings back -

Cheers,

Pete

3. kovatch

kovatch Member

thank you so much for your feedback! i will be sure to get back to you when i have tried everything you recommended... one more thing though... how do i know if my firmware is up to date or not? thanks again.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

kovatch,

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to "introduce" all the different kinds of media to your burner and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media in introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new Firmware updates come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Cheers,

Pete