1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! DVD-rip has got me stumped!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shwaycat, Jan 1, 2005.

1. shwaycat

shwaycat Member

OK, here's a good one, and it has got me completely stumped.

I just got a set of all the six million dollar man episodes, copied to DVD-R's. They are region 1 as far as I know. And they should work. BUT they don't. When they play, I see Video, but no Audio. With certain oddball DVD players, they will play on my computer, but not with Windows Media Player. With WMP I get the same things as if I had put the DVD in my DVD player: video but no sound. So there is sound on the DVD's, but only present under certain conditions.

First off, I can faintly hear a very garbled audio, almost like what a VBR MP3 would sound like in a player that can only play CBR MP3's. But the sound is very VERY faint. You have to crank the volume of the TV to max in order to even hear it at all.

Well, my DVD player also plays VCD's, SVCD's, MPG's and DIVX movies. So I thought I'd just rip the DVD's to DIVX movies. The DVD's aren't encrypted so it seemed like an easy step, right? Well, the DIVX movies play fine on my computer, sound and all. But on the DVD player again they are without sound.

So then I tried ripping the DVD's to VCD's. No go there either. Same thing: video but no audio. According to some of my ripping/encoding tools the audio for the DVD is in MPG1 format. But it's also a bit strange because some of the tools show it as "??? MPEG 1" (what are these question marks, is the audio stream corrupted?).

I have also ripped the audio from the dvd's, converted it to basic WAV and MP3 files, and then used Virtual Dub or other variation to match the audio and video again. Created an MPG, same thing: video but no audio on my DVD player.

So I am completely baffled. I have successfully played other VCD's and DIVX movies on the DVD player, complete with sound and everything. I have even compared the DIVX files side by side and found them to be basically the same. But one plays with sound, and the Six million dollar man DIVX has none.

I am fairly new to this whole thing. Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong, or how to fix this? I sure would like to watch these on a real TV and not my computer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

One possibility is you don't have all the codecs needed. Try download K-lite Codec Pack (the full version) with media player classic to see how things go. The pack also comes with some very useful tools. You may play around with them too:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm
    Good luck!