1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Dvi to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by pogli, Mar 25, 2005.

1. pogli

pogli Member

I was wondering if anyone out there can point me in th right direction. I will first start by sharing my system:

AMD 64 3200+
    1 Gig Dual Memory
    240 GiG hard drive(sata)
    960 ATI AGP
    DVD ROM
    DVD +/- rw

The problem is that I want to convert home video to DVD's. Two years ago I looked into it and it appeared that the technology was there, but the quality of the final product was terrible. I since bought a stand alone DVD player/burner and have the capablity to burn home video to dvds with beautiful results. My needs, though, are to import it to the computer, via firewire, and edit the avi to my specifications. What I want to do is to bypass the step of exporting it back to my video camera and then burining it onto dvd. My stand alone burns at real time and the quality is outstanding.

1. Can I achieve this same quality using retail software?

2. Is there software out there that encodes avi to mpeg2 at real time?

I have been looking at Pinnacle Liquid edition and haven't seen any reviews about avi to mpeg2 encoding. I am mainly concerned about the quality. I have tried studio 9 and I thought the quality was poor.

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

with a cpu as modern as that then you should be able to achieve real time encoding with most mpeg encoders(depending on quality settings of course). the best mpeg encoders on the market today are:. cinema craft encoder, tmpgenc plus, main concept and canopus procoder. all of these encoders produce excellent quality.