1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[help] external HD to internal.. possible?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikaru, Jun 11, 2007.

1. mikaru

mikaru Guest

ok, i bought a maxtor plus II 250gb external HD about 5 months ago, although its kinda slow, its still usable, but recently my friend got me a new one.. and i was thinking since my old one's kinda slowing down on my laptop, i was thinking.. is it possible to pull out the internal parts and put it in my dekstop PC? im not a pro so i dont want to try without any advice..

thanks in advance

2. wabashman

wabashman Active member

yea, you should be able to just pull the HD out of the case, and then put it into your desktop. i did this with one of mine. you might have to put it into slave or cable select mode though.

3. mikaru

mikaru Guest

thanks for the fast reply.. but forgive me for my noobness.. but do u happen to have tutorials or know a site that has one regarding the slave and cable select mode? i dont wanna mess up my pc..just being sure.. thanks again

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  5. mikaru

mikaru Guest

thats really clear... i get it now.. but ,my hdd doesnt seem to have this part.. and does local shops sells jumpers or are they only available on the net?

[​IMG]

6. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

7. mikaru

mikaru Guest

so that means.. it cant be converted to internal HDD? i already got the jumpers... the only problem is that IDE connection, that pic is exactly what i have btw..

8. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mikaru, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.
    also those sata connectors are not always orange or red but black & possibly other colors. you will need a sata cable to connect the drive to the motherboard as long as have sata connectors on the motherboard.

10. wabashman

wabashman Active member

why would he need sata cables?? he said his HD is IDE, wouldnt that require an IDE cable instead of a sata one?

11. mikaru

mikaru Guest

my HDD is missing the IDE sockets...as shown on my attached img. so i think my HDD is a SATA one.... well this concludes it.. i need a sata cable or something.. thanks guys

ok last question... what site has the best sata cable to connect my HDD to my motherboard? and product name?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  12. ddp

local computer store. sata data cable

13. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ahhh now i see. i thought you mentioned your HD was an IDE drive. im sorry. but yea, go to staples, bestbuy circuit city, anything like that will have your sata cable you need. most likely it will be red in color. probably around 10 inches long or so also.

14. mikaru

mikaru Guest

ok guys.. thanks to all that helped, i bought it in the local store... everything is ok now.. thanks again

#closed

15. ddp

teach & learn