1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help finding a cd/dvd shredder that 'shreds'. . .

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by VJbob, Apr 7, 2005.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

Can somebody recommend me a not too expenisve cd/dvd shredder that actually shreds, not one that just punches lots of holes to make disc unreadable. Like documents, I would rather have then obliterated than have white out all over them. Same idea. Any help much appreciated. I hear putting them in the microwave makes an unpleasant smell.

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

A lawnmower or wood chipper works nicely.... ;P

Just be sure to use a mower with a bag for catching all the splinters or you'll be picking up disc fragments for hours in the grass.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. turkey

turkey Regular member

you only need two things: liquid nitrogen and a hammer.

nuf said...

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Just use CompUSA media - they'll be totally unreadable soon enough. ;) But seriously, you don't have to waste $$$ to totally obliterate DVDs (as you say). Boil a pot of water and throw in the DVDs. Let simmer for 2 minutes and add seasoning to taste. If the heat doesn't kill it, the warping will. Anyone dumb enough to put that DVD in their drive deserves to have their DVD reader explode. Or just give it to your kids to play - that works. ;)

5. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

isn't that going to leave a nasty aftertaste if I want to make noodles or something in the same pot later?

6. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Try OfficeMax, Staples, or Fry's Electronics for an all purpose shreder that will do confetti cut shredding of paper, credit cards, as well as DVD/CD. Won't be a cheapie, but such devices are becoming a necessity to prevent identity theft.

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Dear VJbob- I have seen a paper shredder /cd shredder @ samsclub. I don't remeber the exact model# But I believe it was made by Royal! The price was around a $100.00 dollars or so ! and it shreds cd's dvd's ect . Not knowing what your looking to spend I can't say if this is in your affordable range . Alternatively you could get quantity of acetone and just dump your disc in that . I'm not sure how long it would take but you should end up with sludge and not data! Or in a pinch a propane torch could melt them into oblivion! you could make your own double sided reverse disc - glue two of your disc together readable side to readablle side with crazy glue ! load them in a clay pigeon launcher and use them for trap shooting practice . but if your a lousy shot then you have to hunt down the ones you missed . put them in your driveway & run over them with your car/truck - Be creative ! hope I was sommewhat helpful anways !
    good luck and happy burning! - peace

8. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

I've always used a sheet of sandpaper to destroy the recording surface of a dvd. Takes no longer than a few seconds to do the job and cost very little.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just deeply scratch both sides of disks or use a hot air gun with a pair of oven mitts to soften the disk so as to bend it

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Great Idea pony - sometimes the best ideas are the most direct! and taking your Great idea to the next level you could use an belt sander

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Or crack it in half and throw out one half in one garbage bag and the other half in another bag. I do this with credit cards. Just put in a bag and snap it in two. I am going to invent a CD cracker and have Ron Poppeil sell it as the 'Ronco CD Snapper' on some late night infomercial. ;)

12. Mike5150

Mike5150 Member

I just use a utility knife and make 3 to 4 nice slices on both sides.

13. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Just put a CD-R through my $10 paper shredder.... No problems It just nailed it right through.

14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Here's a slight variation on one of my earlier concepts - if you live in a rural area you could use them for target pratice with your .22 or whatever you like to shoot -although I think a shotgun would render the disc unreadable fastest! just be sure to clean up the area after your finished be a responsible shooter & disc destroyer!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

here's a novel concept vjbob - if your player ill read rewriteable media use RW disc then when you want to dispose of the data - erase them ! they can't read what's not there! peace and happy burning!

16. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

Yes and lets bump it up a notch. I once watched an episode of Home Improvements there Al purchased a Binford combination Cd and DVD shredder complete with an 8 horse Briggs engine and titanium cutters. A person can now shred an entire cakabox in one whoooosh. lol.

17. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

PONY My Friend you forgot to throw in the infamous - AUGH! AUGH! AUGH!( CAVEMAN SOUND EFFECT FROM HOME IMPROVEMENT) ! Not exactly sure if I spelled it right but you get the idea! peace & happy burning!

18. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

as far as destroying only the data itself, a pretty good sized magnet should do the trick. although i like the shredding idea. better safe than sorry.

19. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Why not just break it in half??

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

fishbulb, how does a magnet screw up a cd that is made with plastic & aluminuim coating??