1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help fixing my PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Cachorrao, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

I messed up (as usual). I have been having trouble with my PS2 lately. It's been making all kinds of noises and games freeze up etc.. so I decided to try and clean the laser etc.. and I had it ont he table and bumped the cover and the ribbon that powerst he eject button etc.. came detached from the PS2 unit. I knew I was going to mess it up because I always mess stuff up trying to fix it. I have a version 7. How and where do I re-attach it? Thanks.

2. solidicex

solidicex Guest

do you see the slot where the ribbon is connected to the reset/open switch? There should be a similar slot underneath the disc drive. (it's a little difficult to maneuver) but you should be able to reconnect it. Let me know how it goes.

3. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

But what do I use to attach it with? It's a silver metalic ribbon. There is no soldier etc...

4. aslamraja

aslamraja Member

the end of the ribbon goes into the clip. take a tweaser or something similar and push the ribbon back in the clip. use the tweaser to get it in the right place and then use your hand slowly pushing it in as far as it goes. original problem sounds like dust. open the drive up and on the right of the laser you will see an arm that rest on a cog.. clean this cog up and re grease it. that should sort it out for you.

5. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

I'm having trouble finding where the ribbon clips into. I'm not seeing anything. Can you give me some directions?

I definatly think it's a dirt problem. THe lense was pretty clean. I use one of the Lense cleaners pretty regularly but the track that the lense runs on was pretty dirty and I think that's the problem. It wasn't able to move up and down the track properly.

6. aslamraja

aslamraja Member

i was refuring to the track when i said it was dirt. the ribbon clip is near the botom right hand side if the ps2. it will be underneath the drive. this will be if you have it facing you as if you were playing.. i hops this helps..

7. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

Found it. Thanks. Unfortunatly I damaged the ribbon putting the lid back on and it doesn't get any power. It got a couple "kinks" in it, so I'm going to assume that's the reason it doesn't get power now. So I guess I have to buy a new ribbon. How is it connected at the button end? Connecting to the board just slides right in but at the other end it seems to be REALLY attached.

8. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

I guess it wasn't in there as tight as I first thought. I was just worried I was going to mess something else up.

I ordered a new ribbon on line. There is jsut so much "slack" to the ribbon. Where do you put it all? Are there any pictures on the web or anythign that show the path the ribbon should follow?

Thanks for all the help so far.

9. aslamraja

aslamraja Member

ill see if i can take a picture as i have ps2 open in my sitting room. the ribbon goes from the clip over the drive and then back to the power button. i hope that makes sence

10. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

Thanks man. You are a life saver. I just got it caught when trying to put the case back on. I think it was the area on the top of the case that the screw runs threw that it got snagged on.

11. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

Got my replacement ribbon today and everyithing seems to be working properly now. Had a hell of a time getting the ribbon in. It's a little more "bendy" than the orriginal, which worked out well when I had to get the "slack" in place. I ended up making a make-shift splint with some light cardboard to get the ribbon in. It kept bending instead with the pressure instead of sliding in.

Thanks for all your help. Let me know if I can help you out with anything in the future (although you seem to have a lot more knowledge than I but you never know).

12. aslamraja

aslamraja Member

your ok.. im glad you got it sorted..:)

13. jc3po

jc3po Guest

I did the same thing (detached the ribbon from the PS2 but it stayed connected to the eject reset buttons) however, I have a very old PS2 SCPH-30001
    serial # U3583240. I can't see where to reconnect the ribbon at. I just don't see it....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

I'm surpised it has a ribbon. I've seen V2 etc.. that have actual wires instead of the ribbon connector.

What you are looking ofr looks exactly like the end that is still connected. IT's on the right hand side in the front. It will connect on the right hand side of your PS2. It's right under the disk tray etc... You have to take the top and bottom lid's off to see it. You will see 2 similar ribbon's on each side of the place to insert it (at least it did with my V7, not sure about others but it's definatly still in the same place). The thing is white and it's closer to the bottom than the top.

Once you open it whole thing up and look at it from the right side, you should see it.