1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a dumb newbie. HD wanted.

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by kieranstoke, Jun 17, 2012.

1. kieranstoke

kieranstoke Member

Hello

Iv been perusing this site for a while & bookmarked relative info.
    I finally decided to join so I could ask a few questions & hopefully get a few answers.
    Im unsure of the protocol & what is acceptable or not acceptable to discuss so apologies in advance.

I have recently cancelled my Sky Sports HD package due to it exceeding a reduced budget.
    Iv been browsing the internet for a cheaper option & have come across the usage of Dreambox & Kryptview.
    I previously had A "Eurovox box"(doesnt quite sound right though)untill it was scrambled due to "Naiagra" (again it doesnt quite sound right)arrived a few years ago.

I have a friend who has a Kryptview box & says hes had no problems although he is waiting for an HD version to be released.
    I see that Dreambox have an HD version though & am tempted to purchase one & attempt to set it up.
    I have read & saved "PIOPAT" posts on "A newbies guide to setting up a DM500s for card sharing" & although it is written back in April 2010, after reading a few pages & quickly forwarding to recent posts, it still seems reliable & upto date.
    Im still unsure about a few things though but am sure alot will be made clearer once i actually have the box & can follow instructions properly.
    A few answers would be appreciated though before I make the step to purchasing a Dreambox...
    Any news on an HD Kryptview box coming out in the near future?
    Best HD Dreambox?
    Expected price?
    Best & cheapest place to purchase one?
    I have seen some on Ebay for a good price although unsure how reliable the sellers are.
    Also on Ebay & other sites, Dreamboxes are being sold with "gifts" allowing 1 years subscription with Sky for a price... it confuses me as to how that can even be advertised, anyone explain?
    The "gift" is not needed if i follow "PIOPAT" instructions, correct?
    Lastly & just to confirm, i will need a dish. Its not compatible with Virgin... is it?

Apologies if iv broken any rules or if members cannot reply to some of my questions.
    Any answers or help will be much appreciated.

Kierano (kieranstoke)

2. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

i for 1 would not buy a box with 12months free gift as u are paying £70+ more than the box is worth it might sound like a good deal but i have heard that most of the sellers using bad servers or over selling it so it freezes and glitches alot also what if it goes off after a month or 2 u cant moan or complain as it was a free gift.
    if u are confident enough to set up ur own box dm500 is a good box but i like the openbox s11 hd great cheap box for £50 posted and very easy to setup also its an hd box

3. piopat

piopat Active member

the gift is the sharing info .and thats what you would be doing you would be sharing someone elses subscription .basicly the sahring info is a line of information which is most commonly called a c line or an n line such as this example
    C: server.dyndns.com 12000 share101 user101 an n line is simillar bur starts with N: .if you buy a box with a gift this share info is put into your box by the person who sold you the box and that info very simply put acts like a phone number which connects your box to his server .you know how you put a phone number into your phone and it connects to another persons phone ,well simply put your c line (gift)works in a simillar way . however if you just bought a box with no gift and set it up as described in my tutorial you would still need to put a c or n line into it to open pay channels ,you would have to purchase a c or n line .

i couldnt recommend buying a plug and play box (that is a box with gift that you speak of ),that said i can fully understand why people buy them .but if you buy a plug and play box as darn said you could end up with badly freezing pay channels and really it probably would do little good to complain to the guy you bought if from .also buying a plug and play box has the downside that you dont actually learn anything about cs .also these guys tend to password lock boxes (certainly dreamboxes)so if your channels were badly freezing and you wanted to change to another server you might have to flash the box and start from scratch your self and do all the stuff you tried to avoid in the first place . so if possible i think that if you think you can follow the instructions on this forum that you should attempt to do it your self .

i dont use the kryptview for cable tv so i cant really speak about it other than what ive read which is that ive seen quite a few complaints about the server ,perhpas people such as mickah and e45 would be better people to advise you on the cable tv side of things . but for satellite tv you will need a satellite dish ,the benifit of satellite tv is that there are a large amount of free channels and you will recieve them even with out a c line .you say you have sky allready so you have a dish so you have no problem on that front ,so all you need to do is decide on a box .

4. kieranstoke

kieranstoke Member

Thanks for your input guys.
    Id never considered an Openbox s11. Sounds like a good cheap option.
    Is it HD?
    What are your thoughts on an Openbox Piopat?
    Worth spending the extra on a Dreambox???

Kierano

5. piopat

piopat Active member

well it is a hd box so for the relatively low cost about €70 (p+p would be extra )the openbox has to be considered good value .you could go for the dm800 pro or dm800se if your budget allows ,but if your only planning on using a c line to view the sports channels then really the openbox will suffice .

6. kieranstoke

kieranstoke Member

Well im actually thinking of purchasing an Openbox now due to the low cost & also with it being my first venture in this techno-world.
    Iv just looked at your Openbox tutorial & it seems semi straight forward.

The Openbox will give me the same access to channels as a Dreambox wont it?
    Can I record on both/either?

Finally, my last flashed box, the Eurovox, died when the signals got scrambled.
    In your educated opinion Piopat, (& no, I wont hold you responsible should you be wrong)
    what are the chances of these boxes failing due to similar scramble tactics in the near future?

7. piopat

piopat Active member

"The Openbox will give me the same access to channels as a Dreambox wont it?"
    yes the openbox will give you all free to air sd and hd channels ,aswell as pay channels with a cline which is the same as a dreambox.

"Can I record on both/either?"
    you cant record on a dm500s but you can record on a dm600 (this is not a hd box or a dm800 (this is a hd box )as a hard disk drive can be added to either .you can have a hard disk drive with an openbox but as far as im aware it must be an external hard disk drive ,that means the hdd would be outside the box as opposed to inside the box.

"Finally, my last flashed box, the Eurovox, died when the signals got scrambled"
    well firstly your eurovox is a cable tv box ,and when cable tv went to nagra 3 all channels stopped opening with the exception of a few free to air channels . satellite tv is different in that you have hundreds of free to air channels available no matter what ,so no matter if you have a working c line or not you still have all these free channels. but no one knows what will happen tomorrow next week next month or next year and so i cant say how long your c line will work for .but i think the best way to approach this sort of thing is to get what you can at as low a price as you can ,so i mean if you get a hd box and got even 6 months viewing the pay channels for £100 in total you will have gotten good value for your money . i mean it would cost you in the region of about £700 a year to pay sky for a full package thats about £350 for 6 months ,at £100 you would have paid less than 1/3 of that .and if the pay channels stop opening via cs you still have a hd box giving you lots of free to air channels .

8. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

the kryptview was a good cable box but it went off line for about 6 weeks last year and when it came back on it was glitching and losing channels every other day, its still doing the same now from what ive seen on this forum, i sold mine and got a dm800 with the right server its a good box and kicks the kv butt

9. kieranstoke

kieranstoke Member

Hello Piopat & darn24p

After reading your previous posts & advice I finally decided to take the plunge & purchased a Openbox S11.
    Iv yet to have a play with it but shall be shortly.
    I just had a quick question first that may be a stumbling block...

With the HD box being plugged into my server, is it a problem that my server is actually SLY?
    Will they be able to know that im managing to access all channels without actually paying for them via a C-Line?

Thanks again.

10. piopat

piopat Active member

what do you mean when you say your server is sly ? do you mean you have sly broadband ? . as a rule i advise people not to use sly broadband but a lot of people do use it and seem to have no problems ,so i quess thats some thing you will have to consider for your self .