1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!! Freezing graphics...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jimbooo, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jimbooo

jimbooo Member

Hi all,

First of all I REALLY appreciate any advice you guys and gals could give, this is ruining my life and my wallet.

My first question - what's the difference between how your PC processes DivX/XVid files in a media player, and playing it in VirtualDub? I assume VirtualDub previewing is raw?

The reason I ask, around 7 months ago while I was playing Star Wars KoTOR (with the case cover off, tut tut I know) suddenly my PC started freezing up big time, for about 5 sec long intervals. From then on, every time I watch a movie, play a game, listen to music with WM visualisations, or even scroll through long web pages, my PC display and hard drive intermittently freeze, CPU usage jams at 100% and the sound starts skipping - after a couple of secs it unfreezes, but the video and sounds speed up dramatically for a second to get to the movie/music position it would have been at if it hadn't frozen. And as soon as I stop using graphics intensive applications, it's fine. *This only starts to happen once the PC has warmed up.*

Since it started I've reinstalled WinXP (+SP2) twice and replaced basically every component in the system one by one, but it still happens.

Yesterday I noticed while playing DiVX etc. in Windows Media / BSPlayer it freezes every minute or so, but in VirtualDub I can play them for as long as I want and the system *never* locks up! Is this a clue as to what's wrong?

The brand new components I've fitted since the problem started are:
    Athlon XP3200+ CPU
    Asus A7N8X-X Motherboard
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    512mb DDR400 Kingston ram
    Maxtor 200gb HD
    Seasonic Super Tornado 350W PSU
    Zalman 7000B Flower CPU Cooler
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case, 2x 120mm fans

Everything! All other components (cards, CD drives, data cables) I've tried temporarily removing or swapping but it makes no difference. And yes I took every electrostatic precaution when changing components.

My loaded system temps are: Case (23), CPU (38), G/FX (42), H/D (29)

I'm totally stuck, please please help!!
    Thanks,
    James

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is left of the original computer is left??

3. jimbooo

jimbooo Member

Ummm... CD/DVD drives, floppy, IDE ribbons, and a 4.1 PCI sound card. And mouse and keyboard!

As far as I remember I've tried removing or replacing all of them and it doesn't make any difference. :(

4. jimbooo

jimbooo Member

Oh yes and also a new 4-way mains surge protector, and new electricity supply (I've moved house!)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you disconnect both data & power cables off the rom drives??

6. jimbooo

jimbooo Member

I think so, maybe just power though thinking about it. I'll try disconnecting them all tomorrow. Does it sound like a data transfer problem then?