1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP?? Having a problem with overclocking with new 660ti cards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nicka77, Feb 26, 2013.

1. nicka77

nicka77 Member

Hey guys,
    I am a longtime fan of the site, always found solutions to my own problems by reading others, but i think i may need some advice here pertaining to my own setup. Here's a look at my rig.

i7 2600k intel cpu
    ROG Maximus IV motherboard
    8 Gb of 1333 mhz DDR3 ram
    Intel 80 Gb SSD running C drive ( just windows )
    Two 2 Tb storage drives running games, movies, shows etc.
    950 Watt Silencer MkII PSU
    Thermaltake water coolant system
    2 x Nvidia brand GTX 660ti Vid cards running in SLI

This problem started when I installed the two 660ti cards... I was overclocking at 4.6 with 2 x Nvidia 560ti SLI vid cards. Everything was running great. I have ALWAYS had a code on my motherboard that says "A0", and have tried a few things, exchange ram, check wires etc, to fix it, but no real problems....
    Since installing the new cards, my computer kept shutting off and saying that the CPU temp was too high on reboot. I shut off the CPU temp monitor in BIOS in order to even boot it up, checked with ROG hardware monitor, and it says that my temp is just fine... It will only boot up if I shut OFF the overclocking now... If i turn on the overclocking, it shuts down as soon as the windows screen pops up.

Any ideas??? Please help. If I'm doing something stupid or missed something obvious, please understand, I'm just learning alot about building my own comps... I appreciate everyone's time, nick

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. nicka77

nicka77 Member

I think i figured it out... The temp was VERY high, so i unhooked the water cooler, added more thermal paste, and screwed it on tight. now it is OC'd at about 4.6, and running well below the norm. Must have bumped the processor when I put in the two new 660ti's... thank you for the help. :)

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you remove the old paste 1st before applying the new paste?