1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help having trouble with Nero and Windows XP

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pel32665, Nov 26, 2004.

1. pel32665

pel32665 Member

I downloaded nero6.0 trial as week and a half ago and had good success using it initilally with DVD shrink. I succesfully made three DVDs then all hel broke loose. The following issues started happening.
    1. My DVD-R drive would not recognize the blank discs when I inserted them.
    2. I thought it may have something to do with the recording speed that I had my burner set on, so i changed it to match the DVD-R to be 4X but the properites and recording speed would remain changed in my computer always automatically going back to 8X.
    3. Sometimes I could actually get the imported image from DVD Shrink to Import to Nero and Nero would burn and say that it was done but then the DVD that was burned would not play in any of my DVD players.
    4. Other times I would not be able to eject the DVD from the computers burner. The DVD burner on my computer is a Pionerr DVD-RW DVR104.
    5. Other times I would have to restart my computer just so that I could get the DVD out of the burner when the computer restarted. Then when I went back into my computer after the restart, the computer had lost the DVD Drive completely off of the my computer screen.
    6. I did find this info on the web that said that if you are running any Norton software such as Anti-virus and Roxio easy CD creator that can create conflicts with the Window XP system and cause it not to work. The sight recommeneded getting windows service pack 2 which I did as well as service pack 3. The instructions and info are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314993

Anyhow I have about three days left on this trial. I can not figure out where to get started to get this right. I have limited knowledge of computer software and just want the simple clik and burn to create backups of my dvds. i like all of the features of nero and understand DVD shrink. But just cannot get things to work on my Windows XP machine and it is driving me crazy any hints tips advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Patrick, welcome to aD,

When you use Nero to burn separately, it will ask you if you wish to save the log - It won't get rid of your disc until you answer - then it wants to know if you wish to burn another disc and again, until you tell it something it will hold onto your disc. When you have properly answered Nero's questions there will be no problems. Once you have finished with the proggy it will eject your disc without you even asking. The fault - operator error.

Actually, if you were using Nero as the "auto-burner" with Shrink you wouldn't have had any trouble with your discs. When I say auto- burner I mean, Shrink, edit, I/O tab, "check" the box which says, "enable burning with Nero" and when you're in "Backup" selecting - Burn with Nero. In this configuration, Nero will burn and let go of your disc as soon as the job is done.

When you use Nero by itself you can set the speed to what ever you want and it will use that speed when Shrink uses it, DVD Decrypter will do the same. The fault - Not setting Nero correctly.

As far as your burner not seeing your discs OR the disc not playing in your standalone players - that's because you're using crappy media. Changing up to a quality disc will solve those problems. The fault - crappy media.

Roxio plays havoc with most every DVD backup proggy but Nero worst of all - The fault - Roxio.

Norton AV and SP2 are known problems with Nero. By doing a "Clean" uninstall then a reinstall, Nero will function well again. By removing Nero's registry files you can also start your 30-day trial over again.

UNINSTALLING NERO

Though Nero is an excellent program we tend to forget the fact that our friendly Nero program can get "Flaky" at times and then needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

If you are going to uninstall Nero you must do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys.

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

DVD Disc Education -

Let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception - they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - " Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren't all that suitable as a DVD backup media - that's why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you'll get a "Cyclic Redundancy error" or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(
    Another problem which, "Pops up" is a "*Power Calibration Error". This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A "Power Calibration Error" can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn't usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04's made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that "Oh no, I shouldn't have gotten those."

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them - what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Time to sit back and relax, not everything is the fault of Nero -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  3. pel32665

pel32665 Member

Scuba pete,

Thank you for the information and helpful sugestions. I will try these suggestions tommorrow when I have recovered from all of the Post thanksgiving shopping with the wife.

I really appreciate the additional info on the importance of quality media vs. cheep stuff. i will also practice for a while on some DVD-RW till I get the hang of this.

Patrick

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That's the way to go Patrick -

Let me know how you do - there's never a rush -

Pete

5. pel32665

pel32665 Member

Scuba Pete and anyone else, Still need help.

I have gone out and bought a whole bunch of Sony DVD-r as they are listed as acceptable DVD_R for using with DVD Shrink and Nero. I also deleted reinstakllled the nero Program again and was successfull burning two DVDs and now I am back to the same old problem wher ethe DVD burner will not recognize the blank disc and burn the DVDs. I need a step by step guide, which I am sure someone has created i would greatly appreciate any help as I am just going hit and miss and not really understanding any of this.

A million thanks in advance,

Patrick

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok give these 2 easy things a shot

1. Update the firmware on your Burner
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4273_128163990,00.html

2. Download and install ASPI layer
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...m/Microsoft+Windows+XP&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

If you are running Adaptec's Roxio Easy CD Creator Get rid of it. Adaptec and Nero don't get along. Also when you loaded Nero did you install In-CD? If you did get rid of that too because this will cause you problems.

Good Luck

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. pel32665

pel32665 Member

Thanks,

I will try these fixes as well. I think that it is ome kind of a conflict with Window XP. I did unistall the Roxio easy CD burner, but will go back and double check that as well. This has just become such a source of frustration as I think I have done everything correctly and then it works then it doesn't.

Will let everyone know how it turns out whjen I try this again tonight.

Patrick

8. thedevil6

thedevil6 Member

pel32665 ==

As you have said you downloaded nero6.0 ===trial=== and trail is just what it is, you will need to go and buy it, it only cost $50 to buy it. It is also sold at a Best buy near you and the DVD shrink is free. I only buy and use DVD + Rs you will find that a lot of the stand-alone players just will not read the DVD – Rs when you do buy DVDs just gust a small number as a test

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nero is $29.99 here
    http://www.ibackups.net/index.php?main=products&sub=showcateg&id=8

Where in the world did you find that at? I was just wondering because if you search the internet and read all the facts the opposite is true. DVD-R's play in more stand alone DVD players (especially the older ones) If you have an older PS2 ver 4 or older only the -R's will play in them. Now the newer DVD players will normally play both formats. The fact is it would probablly be very hard to find a new DVD player that dosen't play all the formats.

This is a quote from the experts who have preformed numerous test with all different media
    That comes from DigitalFaq.com you can read more about media here http://www.digitalfaq.com/othervideo/dvdformats.htm

Have a nice day
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  10. thedevil6

thedevil6 Member

You are right the cost is under $50 to buy it its been 2 or so years from the time I frist get it I all so use SureThing CD Labeler and Groove Mechanic

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That is so far from the truth I barely know where to begin. Standalone players over 2 years old had extremely hard times playing DVD+R discs. The DVD -R discs were the first discs made and standalone players were made for those discs NOT +R's. As the DVD +R discs became more accepted, more Mfgrs made players that would play them. Todays players will play a dirty dinner plate so picking a player to play a certain disc causes no problems now at all.

PLEASE endouver to speak truthfully when answering a question. Pple don't come here to be lied too,.they come for factual help. By distorting facts to present to unknowing and unsuspecting visitors you put a bad face on our forum. PLEASE do not do it again.

CONSIDER THIS A WARNING !

Pete

(Huuummm, I don't know how I missed bbmayo's post, I guess I didn't scroll down enough )

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004