1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP HELP my friends

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by outdoor, Mar 22, 2007.

1. outdoor

outdoor Member

Just when one thinks he is a pro, something comes up and bites you. Have not had to ask for help in awhile but I have a burner reading question. Have been useing Verbs for over 400 back ups without an issue. Problem now when I load one in for DVD decrypter to burn, it takes for ever to identify the disc or sometimes it just never does and say tray is empty. Could it be a bad batch of verbs which I highly doubt or is my burner about to crap out on me. Thanks folks

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

It could be either.
    Instead of using Decrypter to burn, try ImgBurn. It's burning engine is much more updated than Decrypter. Also check your firmware. The firmware is what's needed for writing strategies for a burner to handle newer discs.

3. 0nslaught

0nslaught Member

I dont remember where i saw this but I just read recently that there were imitation Verbs circulating around.....

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Are the discs identifiable and play in another pc? Do they play fine in standalone player? If so, could be the drive's dying a slow death.

5. outdoor

outdoor Member

I don't have another pc to try the discs, I did try a verb dl disc I had and it picked up normally. I had two verbs in the 50 spindle tonight say drive empty tray closed after it tryed to read it for about 5 minutes. the next disc picked up fine. I've never had an issue with verbs, but it looks like I got a crappy spindle.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you don't mind, install DVD Identifier, from cd freaks, and let us know know the manufacturer of that batch of Verbatim.
    http://home.scarlet.be/~ping3828/downloads/dvd_identifier_501.zip

Imation Verbs would be an interesting sight. Both are brands that sell media manufactured by different companies. It's possible both could be selling a disc made by the same manufacturer. It's happened before. A little over a year ago Imation and Verbatim were both selling +R manufactured by Ricohjpn. It's good media and I'd still buy Imation if they'd stuck with Ricoh.

7. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

I agree outdoor, It does look like you may have gotten a few rotten apples in the bunch..LOL. Getting another spindle and keeping your fingers crossed hoping they're all good is what I suggest you do. Also, while you're there getting some new disks, you might also want to pickup a drive lens cleaner, keeping the lens clean is also a good thing.

You should also try and find out if indeed the vebs are real, go with Pac's suggestion and give DVD Identifier a shot to make sure.

8. outdoor

outdoor Member

Thanks folks, I'll give the identifer a try. I did use my dvd disc cleaner on it. Its a disc with two small brushes on it. will this be O.K. or should I get something else? Thanks Ya'll

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I picked up a Philips DVD Cleaner at Wally World. It cleans and does a video and audio output test. It didn't cost much. It would clean the optical head and be a simple test to see if your drive is reading properly. It's like the one you have with the tiny brushes. It would be nice if it had the test.

As for the media, Verbs are usually good, but there's been some bogus stuff going around. That's why I asked you to do an ID of the media. Open DVD Identifier, put a blank in the burner and click Identify. The info we want is in the red box in the capture below. I'm using Sony D21 Manufactured by Sony.

[​IMG]

If I were you I'd try some media from another brand before replacing a burner. Try some Sony +R from a reputable vendor and see if it does the same as the Verbs.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007