1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! home movie disc error ...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rathole, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rathole

rathole Member

I was hoping DVD shrink could help me with my problem, but I hit another wall, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. BACKGROUND: I have a mini disc recorder that I use for home movies. When the disc fills up, the camera says it's full and then you finalize the disc. The finalized disc is then a mini dvd and each individual recording session is a chapter on the dvd. One of my discs, got some sort of a glitch in it, during one of the sessions but it will still play in a dvd player. There are thirteen chapters on the finalized disc, but chapters 11 and 12 (something must have happened to the disc or the camera during that session) have some kind of error within them. The playback freezes up and has big digital blocks and sometimes goes black and locks up all together. Other than that, the disc plays fine through the other 11 chapters. I would really like to salvage those off of this damaged disc. The disc is already finalized so the only format I can get the files in is the VOB file. I got DVD shrink in the hopes of converting the VOB file into an MPG or something else that I might be able to edit out the offending files, but upon importing the video, it goes through 88% and then gives me a "cyclic redundancy error" presumably at the spot of the digital shrapnel on my disc. I read a lot of posts discussing scratched or dirty discs causing those errors, but this isn't a surface issue, it's some kind of formatting glitch. Is there any way to get that first 88% if it can't finish? Is there some other software that might be better suited to the problem? Does anyone have any other suggestion for how I might open and edit a VOB file and hopefully just delete the problematic portions? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

You might want to give VobBlanker a try. It can cut out scenes you don't want. Guides can be found at the site.

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member