1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! I’m so confused about avi/xvid/divx files.

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by kbearmone, May 22, 2007.

1. kbearmone

kbearmone Member

I don’t even know if I’m posting in the right section. Okay, here’s the thing, I‘m tryin to put as many videos on my phone as possible. I dl a lot of movies and shows from uTorrent, and most of them say “AVI Video” as the type of file, and MPEG Layer 3 as the audio format, and the name of the file for example says “The.Sopranos.S06E18.HDTV.XviD-LOL”.

My questions are numbered so if you can’t answer all, just let me know which # ur replying to.

Now what I want to know is (1) if I can compress this from 350MB to something smaller, or (2) is the AVI file already compressed and that’s why it’s a XVID format? I hope this makes sense to someone. I googled avi file compression and usually it says something about xvid or divx, so (3) I’m starting to think that my files are already compressed and can’t get any smaller, is this correct? But, (4) If I can get my files smaller than 350MB for shows and 700 - 900 MB for movies, how do I do it?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

1) Yes you can recompress.
    2) Xvid is a video codec, avi is a container. You have video compressed with Xvid in an avi container.
    3) Sure they can get smaller.
    4)

For starters, probably your phone doesn't have a very high res screen, so you can resize down. You may also be able to reduce the framerate. The rest of it really depends what formats your phone supports. It may support AVC/aac in an 3gp/mp4 container, which will give you decent quality at lower bitrates.