1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! I can't restore my Nero backup

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by davidAP, Feb 4, 2007.

1. davidAP

davidAP Member

A couple of days ago, I had my computer reformatted. Before that happened, I backed up all of my documents (including family pictures) onto a disc using Nero backitup. When I tried to restore the documents to my computer, it wouldn't work. I got the the very last step for the restoration to take place, then I received this message:

"Please insert the source disc with the following volume label in the selected drive:
    All But Videos_1

To ensure you have selected the correct disc, please compare the following disc ID with the one that can be found in the file NB.txt located on the root of your backup disc.

CAFC3C10-BDA2-4A92-9962-EC5702F668C6-1"

The disc does, in fact, contain a .txt file named "NB," but the number is different from the one listed above. Regardless, I was able to restore a backup from last August - the oldest backup on this disc. I have no idea why it would allow me to restore that one and not the recent one.
    Also, I have another disc with family videos on it that is giving me the same general message.

How do I fix this??? My job requires that I have these recently backed up documents. Please help. Thank you.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

When you did your backup, I assumed you did an incremental backup? And when you say "disc", what exactly do you mean?

And I suppose you are running the restore process from the newly formatted WinXP drive with Nero installed?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  3. davidAP

davidAP Member

Yes, I did an incremental backup. The earliest backup on the disc (a DVD) was restored successfully, but not the others.
    The DVD I burned the backup onto was a simple blank DVD disc.

Appreciate your concern.

4. davidAP

davidAP Member

I don't know if you can figure out how to open the entire file or not, but I did find out some helpful information on another forum. Someone suggested that a person (with a similar problem) just go into the folder file and open up all of the files individually. This will take a long time, BUT IT WORKS!!
    If you figure out how to do it all at once, that would be great. But I don't want anyone to waste too much time on this since I do have an option now. Thanks.

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Try using this procedure and let me know where it stops working. I don't remember if my backup was incremental or not.

Open Nero BackItUp and click on restore. Click on the folder icon to get the Open Backup window. At the bottom, browse for the folder that contains your backup data. Mine contains a bunch of .nba files. Click on the first one of the series and open. After a few seconds, in the same window, I then get a selection with an .nbi extension. Open that and you should see your backup.

I don't know for sure if the .nbi file was on my hard drive first, or was made when I opened the .nba file. I can't go any farther, because I don't need to restore any files, but you should be able to check the files you want and click "Start the Restore Process"

Post back if this doesn't work for you and I will try to do a backup procedure again, it is about time for one anyway. ;)

One more thing, if you have any .nbi files, they may be in the following folder (using your user name).
    C:\Documents and Settings\your user\Local Settings\Temp

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007