1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! I fixed my PS2 but.....

Discussion in 'PS2' started by gibney85, Dec 28, 2004.

1. gibney85

gibney85 Member

Sorry If someone asked thius before but I tried a search and didnt find anything I was after.

Anyway, here goes...... I've an early PS2, its an 3003R.

Two months after playin GTA:San Andreas, One day I turned it on and it just started making loud clicking noises and wouldnt boot. It would just stay on the boot screen

So I did a google for a guide to fix this as its out of warranty. I opened it up and adjusted the cog that sets the distance between the laser and the disk and cleaned the disk. Anyway, everythings perfect now except when I was putting it all back together - the ribbon that connects the Controller/Memory Card Ports to the main circuit thingy popped out. I've tried to get it back in carefully but with no luck. The controllers dont work at all.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

the top of the slot that the memory card/controller ribbon fits into lifts up then you insert the ribbon cable then press it down and it locks it in

3. gibney85

gibney85 Member

Thanks for the reply Devilhunt.

Check this pic out- http://tinypic.com/14n1qp

Im trying to get the ribbon into the brown clip that I think the ribbon came out of. It opens downwards and clips back up but it doesnt seem to go in far enough and doesnt lock into place either. When I switch on the PS2 the controllers dont work

Any more info/suggestions would be really appreciated

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  4. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

this has happened to me as well. IT IS A NIGHTMARE! but it is easily fixed.

has the ribbon cable end becamed dmamged? (not the metal contacts the hard bit at the end). if it is really damaged you will have to replace it coz u need a stiff support piece at the end (from now i will refer to it as the csp contact support piece)

the only way i am able to get this in is if i get the ps2 just as you have it in the photo pointing upwards on a table.

align the ribbon cable to the hole ensuring you are not tryint o inset it wrong way around (backing to contacts). get a flat head screwdriver (small as possible) and GENTLY push against the edge of the csp. you have to attack it from each side at a time you cannot get it to go in in one go.

MAKE SURE NOT TO PUNCTURE THE CABLE!!

the clip uses friction to hold the cable in and it takes a good poke to get it in. once its in never touch it again!!

it is a lot easier to do it when you have the ps2 completely apart with the motherboard in your hands, but it is a hassle to strip it completely and it can get a bit scary when your ps2 is in so many pieces!!

Let me know if your still stuck

Gaz

5. gibney85

gibney85 Member

thanks Gaz!
    But its too late i mashed it up becoz I got so p*ssed off with it before i read your post unfortunateley. Feck sony for making it so hard to get ribbons back in. If i had a bit of patience I probablyu wouldve fixed it, bummer!

luckily me mate gave me his old ps2 that was having disc read error problems. I cleaned the lens and adjusted the cog to the best setting but its only average. It takes it s time and sometimes says disc read error but its usable.

Oh well bak to GTA:San Andreas